• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Peep sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boker

40 Cal.
Reaction score
my eye sight is not to good especially in my right eye. I have had to switch to left ha d shooting with my T/C Cherokee. I read they made a peep sight for it but it is hard to locate.

How do y’all feel about peep sights?
And is this even a option?

I put a Lyman peep sight on my Cabela's rifle a few years ago and love it. I don't know for certain, but suspect that sight would work for your rifle. I had to have a gunsmith drill and tap a hole for my rifle, and you will likely have to do the same with that sight.

A peep on the barrel to replace the factory sight does not gain you anything on eyesight.
Mount a peep on the tang and get it close to your eye.
A pedersoli "GHOST" works great. I have several now.
The LYMAN 57a or the Williams FPML will also work but they are bulky and ugly.

TOW sells a dovetailed base peep sight that can be fit into an existing barrel dovetail

My experience is the opposite of Griz44Mag's. I've had great success with a large aperture peep mounted in the normal rear sight position. It really sharpens the front sight for me (and my eyesight is manure).

However, it's fairly simple to fabricate a non-adjustable peep to mount on the tang if you're inclined to go that way. Here's one I made for one of my Hatfields (yeah, I know, I need to replace that round head bolt :().

I drilled and tapped the breech plug to mount it, but it could be put at the forward end of the tang, or even secured with the tang screw. A 12" x 1/2" brass strip from Ace Hardware gives you a half dozen sights with different aperture sizes and elevations.

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/hardware/metal-sheets-and-rods/sheet-metal/5024690

45590808392_857db71dd7_c.jpg

30700481827_b94c029aec_c.jpg

I have tried "eye pals" stick on my shooting glasses. It is like a peep sight. Works great. Google them.

Fleener

My experience is the opposite of Griz44Mag's. I've had great success with a large aperture peep mounted in the normal rear sight position. It really sharpens the front sight for me (and my eyesight is manure).

However, it's fairly simple to fabricate a non-adjustable peep to mount on the tang if you're inclined to go that way. Here's one I made for one of my Hatfields (yeah, I know, I need to replace that round head bolt :().

I drilled and tapped the breech plug to mount it, but it could be put at the forward end of the tang, or even secured with the tang screw. A 12" x 1/2" brass strip from Ace Hardware gives you a half dozen sights with different aperture sizes and elevations.

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/hardware/metal-sheets-and-rods/sheet-metal/5024690

45590808392_857db71dd7_c.jpg

30700481827_b94c029aec_c.jpg
You might be a redneck IF: LOL. It goes so well with the aesthetics of that tiger maple rifle....
ghost.jpg
I am still shaping it, so it is rough filed for now.
Adjustable for elevation and windage. Small enough to sit on the tang, not the wood.
Aperture can be changed.

Attachments

• ghost.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
I had a t/c prep sight given to me years ago. I put it on my shaken a d never looked back. That rifle shoots so well with that sight I love hunting with it now. Well I loved it before but it's better now.

I found a few of the factory Cherokee peep sights online . Those things are expensive but I may end up dropping the cash on one.

s-l1600.jpg
willams WGRS octgon base for 15/16 and 1" barrels around $40.00.it's a screw on was made for CVS but will fit others ...might have to drill and tap your barel

I cannot use the factory rear sights on ANY of my muzzleloaders. I am going with peeps on them one at a time as I can find them. I have a 6-48 Skinner Lo-Pro on order for my Grey Hawk since the breech is already drilled and tapped. I am going to have to drill and tap my New Englander breech for the same set up if it works good on the Grey hawk. Either that or just buy another blue steel New Englander that is drilled and tapped from the factory.

Grimord can you post up a photo of the lo-pro on your renegade? I have measured the factory drilled Grey Hawk and it is .200 deep. I can buy the correct #32 drill and 6-48 bottom tap from TOTW for under 10.00. I am going to drill and tap it myself. On your renegades did you use the factory rear hole in the breach or drill and tap the tang? I will probably drill the breach on the New Englander so it looks like the factory did it. I have a Skinner Lo-Pro on my 30-30 and love it. Also when you peeped the Renegade were you able to use the factory front sights?

I used the existing drilled and tapped hole in the breech to mount my Low Pro's. I had no problem using the existing T/C ramp/bead front sight on the barrels I installed them on which include a custom shop 54 caliber, a custom shop 45 caliber and a green mountain 36 caliber. I like the sights so much that I made a few of my own that are similar in design that I have mounted on some of my other bp rifles. As you can probable tell, my eyes are not as good as they used to be, and these sights allow me to keep on shooting without destroying the looks and lines of the firearms.

that is my goal. I have no desire to even consider a scope on any of my BP rifles. I think the peeps look great and I will be more accurate. Trying to get ready for a week long trip over east in Ohio with four days of muzzleloader hunting. Praying for a foot of snow.

my eye sight is not to good especially in my right eye. I have had to switch to left ha d shooting with my T/C Cherokee. I read they made a peep sight for it but it is hard to locate.

How do y’all feel about peep sights?
And is this even a option?

I Have Peep sights on all of my Muzzleloaders, including my TC Seneca’s. You are correct about the Factory Peep sight for the Seneca/Cherokee being hard to find, they are quite Rare these days, I have 2 of them. My Renegades And Hawken’s either have a Lyman 57SML, or a Williams FP Hawken. I cannot see regular open sights worth a Darn anymore. But i can Shoot a Peep sight to 500 Yards

Back