• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Peep Sight on flintlock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The metal of the peep in the picture is 1/8" thick, I made one from 1/16" metal but like the thicker metal better.

A lot of people have suggested that I put a second attachment screw in the sight to hold it in place, with the deep countersink and a tight tang bolt mounting it is stable. This sight is just a temp, I am closing in on the time that I will need have cataract surgery at which point I will no longer need it. Because of this I don't want to drill another hole in any of the tangs of the guns I mount these sights on.

This peep sight is for hunting, I really have it torqued down to hold it in place it doesn't move easily. I set it up and adjusted it to have the front blade perfectly centered in the rear sight notch and even with the top of the rear sight for a 6 o'clock hold, if it should shift I can easily tap it back into alignment.

Here is the peep sight that I made out of 1/16" metal. It is Ok but I like the thicker metal better, this one has a little give (spring) to it, the thicker metal is rock solid.

View attachment 105290
Nice!! I have the same problem with my vision and peeps are the way to go, larger aperture for hunting than target shooting, though.

My new Haines rifle build has very narrow nickel silver front blade, I can't see it and just ordered a wide blade front sight to replace it. My focus is hunting, on the gun in the picture with peep sight mounted I have a wide front sight that I can really see through my peep.

The metal of the peep in the picture is 1/8" thick, I made one from 1/16" metal but like the thicker metal better.

A lot of people have suggested that I put a second attachment screw in the sight to hold it in place, with the deep countersink and a tight tang bolt mounting it is stable. This sight is just a temp, I am closing in on the time that I will need have cataract surgery at which point I will no longer need it. Because of this I don't want to drill another hole in any of the tangs of the guns I mount these sights on.

This peep sight is for hunting, I really have it torqued down to hold it in place it doesn't move easily. I set it up and adjusted it to have the front blade perfectly centered in the rear sight notch and even with the top of the rear sight for a 6 o'clock hold, if it should shift I can easily tap it back into alignment.

Here is the peep sight that I made out of 1/16" metal. It is Ok but I like the thicker metal better, this one has a little give (spring) to it, the thicker metal is rock solid.

View attachment 105290
The tang bold you are using to hold the perp with. Dose it go through the stock to hold the trigger assembly in place? Or dose it simply screw into the stock?

DSC03407.JPG
DSC03160.JPG
DSC03170.JPG
DSC03384.JPG

You might want to take a look at the Marble's Bullseye - not as good as a true peep but it tightened the groups on my GPR. I found the inner wall to be a bit thin for my taste so I ended up press fitting a short piece of small stainless tubing I bought from McMaster Carr into the inner hole.
View attachment 105211
This is the same type of sight and rifle I used to take my 200 lb Doe this year. It is still a little fuzzy for me but it is better than open sights that I had before. After see the homemade peep sight on this post it has given me some ideas to make a peep sight and mount it on the tang.

Being the lazy sort, I put a Williams #70200 sight on the barrel just ahead of the tang. The odd sounding part is that I simply ”glued” it in place using Permatex Hi-Temp black silicone. An old Diesel gear shop guy taught me about that stuff. Put a scope base on a little .32 just for fun. You can pick the whole rifle up and hang it off the scope while shaking it and it won’t come loose. It’s some strong stuff! A sharp thin knife can be used to loosen it and twist a little and it will come off, all without harming the finish. I should just re-label the stuff and sell it…..

All the tang bolts on the guns I made go through the wrist and are threaded into the trigger plate.

I have tried the same sights on a TC and found you can't get a good enough purchase on the sight with wood tang screw to keep the sight from shifting easily. On the first wood screw I torqued down to hold the sight I stripped the threads in the wood and had to plug stripped hole, glue in a dowel and start over.

You might want to take a look at the Marble's Bullseye - not as good as a true peep but it tightened the groups on my GPR. I found the inner wall to be a bit thin for my taste so I ended up press fitting a short piece of small stainless tubing I bought from McMaster Carr into the inner hole.
View attachment 105211
I use this sight on several non muzzleloading rifles with a green hiviz front sight. Best combination I have ever used for hunting in the woods. Dawn to dusk. Not traditional, but one needs to be able to see the sights!!!!

Peep sights are certainly not historical for anything I want to do, but if you have to have one, you have to have one. My eyesight has deteriorated the past few years, and I actually find I like peep sights less than before. So far, I can still see normal sights just fine.

I don't know where I got these photos, so I hope I'm not offending anyone posting this. Here's a Boyer heavy target rifle with an adjustable peep sight.
View attachment 21407
Neat picture. That sight is historical if you were a target shooter in New England mid 19th century. And other places as well. You're lucky to still be able to see open sights. Most shooters switch to the peep when they can no longer see open sights.

Did you use a counter sink from the front of the sight to thin the metal at the aperture? That might help with sight picture and reflection.

I have tried peeps made to be mounted in the normal rear sight location and for my eyes blurry is blurry in that location. I still have excellent distance vision.

Last year I built a .36 Kibler SMR for small game and struggled with the open rear sight. I didn't want to drill any holes in this rifle, so I modified a Marbles I had on hand. It is the adjustable version.

I cut off the dovetail and drilled and countersunk a hole so I could use the existing tang bolt. The notched ramp has pressure on it and holds it firm with just the one bolt used. This allows use of that ghost peep back on the tang closer to the eye where it belongs and doesn't look too obtrusive on a traditional rifle.

I haven't hunted with it yet, but it seems better on targets.

IMG_20211124_200804(1).jpg
IMG_20211124_200952.jpg

Back