• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some years ago(10) I bought a Pedersoli 45.Tryon creedmore target rifle wnen they were affordable it came with it's own bullet mold and sizer. I found the fit and finish top notch and after working up a load the accuracy superb.
S_229.jpg

A friend of mine has a .36 Hatfield flinter. He laid it down next to my .45 Pedersoli Blue Ridge. Besides the caliber, the only difference we could see was the Hatfield had a maple stock and my Pedersoli has a walnut stock. I was going to buy a .54 Blue Ridge flinter in 2006, when they were on sale for $400. I waited too long and the price really jumped. I ended up getting a .54 GPR flinter kit. They claimed the price increase was due to the Euro. Investarms is also made in Italy, but had no such increase. If you want a decent production long rifle, Pedersoli is the only one on the market. Wish Lyman would come out with a long rifle.

Referring back to my post concerning the Pedersolis, my mention of (non) PC guns was directed solely toward the Blue ridge & other "longrifles" they produce. The Hatfield varied in quality depending on who was making it at the time. In general they were mostly pretty good. The Pedersoli copy is pretty good as well. But even the Hatfield was of dubious parentage. Pc does not a good gun make, necessarily. For their type I consider Pedersoli top of the line but too pricey. If you want a Bedford or Lancaster, you'll have to have one built.

Pedersoli does make spot-on replicas. These replicas IMHO are PC by the very fact they have historical provenance and are built to that style. That's really all I'm saying.

Fit is everything. I wouldn't buy a Blue Ridge simply because I'm 5'41/2" and really need a tp of 13". I consider "fit" to be worth a bit more money than a "better" deal. My advice is always to get what you will feel comfortable with. That great price will lose it's appeal once the poor fit & feel become obvious.

I only have owned one Pedersoli. It a Rocky Mountain Hawken. I couldn't be more pleased with it. Its put together well. The inletting, browning and case coloring are all done well. And the only thing that limits its shooting ability is me. 5 shots making one big ragged hole at 50 meters is common.

I think you would have to handle and or shoot many rifles to find one style or one with measurements that fits best. I saw an antique Greener (I think) rifle that was adjustable so you could be custom fit for a rifle. I think that was what it was for. It was called a try gun. Friendly people at a gun range would be very helpful. Some people swear by a certain style while others hate it. I think maybe the Lancaster sytle would have the least problems. This is what I read anyway. Some don't like the roman nose stocks that the Pedersoli longrifles and Berks county rifles have others love them. it depends on how you shoot and your build etc. Ive seen rifles with alot of drop for shooters with glasses. I'm ranting aren't I? :yakyak: I bought my rifle years ago 'cause it looked like the one Jed Clampett carried....LOL. I didn't know anything then. I'd better stop.

My experience with Pedersoli's thus far is with the Dopietta shotguns, coming from good quality SxS internal hammer cartridge guns. The Pedersoli's handle quite well, and the triggers are good shotgun triggers. They are a bit heavy, 20 gauge is handier.

Concerning fit and finish. Inletting is adequate at best, but noticeably better than Thompson. The semi beavertail "forend" is actually quite elegant, and the case hardening holds up surprisingly well.

The locks feature a flat main spring and searspring. This is pretty PC (where you can't see it) but it doesn't really make them shoot better.

Given that this is a percussion rifle forum, I don't get the "long rifle" brouhaha. Those rifles pretty well all began life as flintlocks. Pedersoli's Plains Rifles are pretty good reproductions.

There certainly was a major shift in exchange rate between the Euro and the Dollar around 2006. Inventory overhang (or lack thereof) would influence cost for some time. There aren't a lot of Pedersoli rifles that cost more than a Jim Chambers rifle kit--which is semi-custom, but completely unfinished.

Hopefully, we all shoot guns we love.

Lorne

There were thousands of percussion longrifles made in many forms from the beginning of the percussion era right up to the present. They never really quit making them.

Back