• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli vs Traditions or …

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't speak to the Pedersoli, but I've been the proud owner of a Traditions Crockett .32 for a decade now. I'll tell you this, if I had to pick one out of my collection to keep, it'd be that one. Easy on powder and lead, accurate, and reliable.

The caplock that comes with that gun had zero problems, and I only slicked it up to make the action a little smoother.

All in all, you'll find that the folks here who own a Crockett .32 are very happy with their purchase.

RM

I despise production guns. They are a pig in a poke.
Some get really nice ones, some get trash.
I got trash.
You best be ready to make caps, they are very hard to find and stupid prices.

You first gun might be a capper, but your last one will be a flintlock.
Stay a head of the game and go for one that you can use a rock in.

Since I’m new to BP, was wondering what would be the benefit of spending hundreds of dollars more for a Pedersoli over a Traditions 32 Cal squirrel gun

Rick
I have no experience with Pedersoli, therefore I cannot speak for them.

However, I do have a lot of experience with a few TC’s and with a Traditions Crockett rifle. I can tell you that I have not had any issues with them. They have been very reliable under real world hunting conditions. And my equipment gets put to the test under some tough conditions and tough terrain.

To me, Traditions look to be build a little on the cheap side, but so far mine has held up great. I did replace the nipple with a TOTW nipple. The factory nipple was too small of diameter for my liking. I also got rid of the factory ram rod and built up my own out of hickory.

Don’t let some folks fool you. There’s some good, dependable production rifles out there that won’t break the bank.

If you take care of one, clean it properly and oil it good, it will give you years of reliable service.

Good luck with your decision.

Being new to the hobby, I can understand you not wanting to spend a lot of money, in the event you wind up not liking it. However, sometimes starting out with bottom of the barrel equipment will lead you in that same direction. In my opinion, I'd go for the Pedersoli, or a Lyman, or even a Thompson Center if ypu can find a decently priced gun.

Yes, Traditions guns work, but they're finicky, and as was mentioned, you either get a decent one, or a turd.

You first gun might be a capper, but your last one will be a flintlock.
Yup.

OP, I have both brands. Going for a factory-made caplock, it's my opinion a Pedersoli isn't worth the extra. However, if you're going for a flintlock and/or a kit, it is. Pedersoli's stock wood is better, inletted better, and their lockworks are better.

If @UNCLERICKY is considering a gun with a percussion lock as his first traditional muzzleloading rifle, the Traditions rifle deserves consideration. The Traditions lock may be a bit on the cheap sides and springs weak, but the percussion locks will perform acceptably. The triggers can be a bit sloppy in the stock. The wood won't be fancy. The Traditions barrels perform way better than their price point. Many a shooter has found the Traditions guns to be the entry level rifle of choice. I shoot with club members with Traditions or CVA rifles. I have to have a really good day to outshoot them. Sometimes they have the great day.

@Grenadier1758... I currently have an Investarms Hawkins in 50cal but just want something smaller. Not for powder saving but just something smaller. Was thinking about a 45cal but the 32cal just was winking at me toooo much. Since there are only two options in 32cal that I found I just might opt for the less costly one and like @New Hampshire said get both eventually :) or the 45cal before I retire.

Yup.

OP, I have both brands. Going for a factory-made caplock, it's my opinion a Pedersoli isn't worth the extra. However, if you're going for a flintlock and/or a kit, it is. Pedersoli's stock wood is better, inletted better, and their lockworks are better.
Pedersoli prices in the last few years have gone ballistic but Traditions have steadily gone up as well. They are all expensive now but put an ad in your local Craigslist: looking for black powder equip, ect. and you may just find a diamond for a good price.

@Grenadier1758... I currently have an Investarms Hawkins in 50cal but just want something smaller. Not for powder saving but just something smaller. Was thinking about a 45cal but the 32cal just was winking at me toooo much. Since there are only two options in 32cal that I found I just might opt for the less costly one and like @New Hampshire said get both eventually :) or the 45cal before I retire.
Start with a .32 and work your way up to a B. Bess or an artillery piece. If you enjoy this hobby you'll end up with a full stable before long and all sorts of creative ways to sneak them past your significant other, but don't ask me how I know.

First, welcome to the Muzzleloading side of shooting sports. It may not be to every shooters liking, but should be.😀
IMHO, starting out with a modern re-production gun is a good way to get started. Just as important is to find a local mentor to coach you through the care and feeding of you new rifle. One can do it by watching videos, etc… but having someone advising you helps lower that initial learning curve. Inquiring at your local gun club or forums like this or looking for a long rifle group or buckskin group or historical re-enacting group are all good places to connect with more knowledgeable people.

I started with a Pedersoli 36 cal flinter frontier rifle. It is not the quality of a homemade or custom rifle or original, but it got me started down the path. For a percussion cap gun either Traditions or Pedersoli will do. Percussion cap is easier to learn on IMHO. Caps and powder can be found for sale, just do a search. You’ll pay a bit more per cap than buying in bulk, but 1 or 2 tins of 100 are a good start. Don’t forget balls, patches, powder measure, powder flask, etc…. needed as well.

It seems a bit overwhelming at first, it is not as simple as modern cartridge guns, but well worth the effort of learning. For me traditional muzzleloading, connects me to my ancestors who founded this country, range time becomes almost meditative, has improved my long range modern rifle shooting skills and provided me a much greater appreciation and respect for modern firearms.

Like many others on this forum, happy to pass along what I know and my own experiences and thoughts. Just ask…

Being new to the hobby, I can understand you not wanting to spend a lot of money, in the event you wind up not liking it. However, sometimes starting out with bottom of the barrel equipment will lead you in that same direction. In my opinion, I'd go for the Pedersoli, or a Lyman, or even a Thompson Center if ypu can find a decently priced gun.

Yes, Traditions guns work, but they're finicky, and as was mentioned, you either get a decent one, or a turd.
You can even end up with a pedersoli turd as well. Always best to personally examine what ever your choice maybe.

Since I’m new to BP, was wondering what would be the benefit of spending hundreds of dollars more for a Pedersoli over a Traditions 32 Cal squirrel gun

Rick
Absolutely no benefit, I have both traditions 32 cal squirrel gun and several rifles and several Pedersoli's (although no 32 cal). As far as shooting them and accuracy they are on the same level. Fit & finish may be slightly ahead with my Pedersoli's but the Traditions are easily improved if it bothered me.

Back