• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli owners, speak up

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While my pedersoli 2 band enfield in 58 cal and my pedersoli sharps 1859 in 54 cal are way bigger than what you are asking about. They are both tack drivers and function as rapid load and fire rifles which can be shot multiple times before cleaning. Patched round ball takes a little more cleaning attention versus using minis, and maxis but nothing different from my hawkens rifles. Since I never leave my blackpowder guns loaded for extended times due to potential corrosion I don't have any thoughts about that. But Pedersoli is considered to be one of the better reproductions out there although I can't speak to all their many models or calibers. And they are pretty pricey.

I don't have a pedersoli nor have I ever shot one, but I've seen a few causing ignition problems at the range. I've also seen some pictures of disassembled pedersoli breech plugs and it appears that the problem may be with the hole in the breech plug being too small. The breaching system seems to be similar to CVA/TRADITIONS but the cva and traditions have a larger hole in the plug.

So some have problems and some don't. It's probably a matter of how the shooter manages the gun and the wiping between shots regimen.

If I had one I'd be tempted to modify the breech so that hole would be more like a funnel but it wouldn't be the first time one of my ideas backfired. 🤣

I don't get the calibers being used..

Like is a squirrel.. .45 .32... etc..

Head shots?

Even .22lr sounds overkill.

.117 pellets gun.

Id use shot and shotgun i think. 😕

I had a .36 pedersoli in flint. It was more reliable than the percussion lock version. Use real black powder, and clean really well after shooting it and you should be ok. And slap the breech to settle the powder where it needs to be- and use 4 f if you can get it.
Sam, you don't mean 4F for the main charge?
I had a .36 pedersoli in flint. It was more reliable than the percussion lock version. Use real black powder, and clean really well after shooting it and you should be ok. And slap the breech to settle the powder where it needs to be- and use 4 f if you can get it.

My Pedersoli shotguns have always been fine. I only have a Jaeger in .54, which is no squirrel gun, but that rifle has been fine as well. I have both style locks for it. I once went to the range and forgot my powder horn was filled with Triple 7 and I had the flintlock on the rifle. The range is an hour from home so I used what I had and that stuff, even being used as priming powder, only failed to fire once in a dozen shots.

My Pedersoli is a .50 GPR. I swab after every shot like I do with all my rifles. I like to pour the 3F in slowly while tapping the barrel. It is an extremely nice rifle. Flint. Got no percussions.

I think #4 though.

I've shot squirrel with air rifles and you do have to aim for vitals etc.

Most the time in the woods they take off up the tree and go.. I'd want to shoot that if I was hunting them.

From what I understand, all of the Pedersolis don't have that stupid breech. I have the trade gun, and it does. After a lot of searching on this forum, I have found out that you should not wipe between shots. What you have to do is wipe after loading, thus pushing the fowling on top of the ball and shooting it out. Since I have started doing that, I haven't had any more issues.

I have a Pedersoli Pennsylvania rifle in .32 percussion, When in the field, and there may be multiple shots, I use a .22 caliber jag with a alcohol soaked patch to clean down into the patent breech to remove the built up fouling. I have never (knock on wood) had a miss-fire to date, and there have been times when I have taken more than 20 shots during the course of a squirrel hunting day. I only wish I could say I hit that many squirrels. It is important to slap the off lock side of the gun when the powder is loaded to be sure powder gets into the patent breech. The Pennsylvania rifle might be a bit long for your type of hunting, by Pedersol also makes the Scout rifle which is a cut down version of the Pennsylvania if you like that style of rifle.

From what I understand, all of the Pedersolis don't have that stupid breech. I have the trade gun, and it does. After a lot of searching on this forum, I have found out that you should not wipe between shots. What you have to do is wipe after loading, thus pushing the fowling on top of the ball and shooting it out. Since I have started doing that, I haven't had any more issues.
Tell us how one is supposed to remove the crud ring that’s down below and/or are on the sides of the patch and ball by wiping after you have loaded it?

That’s something that I’m out to find out, which Pedersolis have the problem child breeches.

Last edited:
I have a Pedersoli Pennsylvania rifle in .32 percussion, When in the field, and there may be multiple shots, I use a .22 caliber jag with a alcohol soaked patch to clean down into the patent breech to remove the built up fouling. I have never (knock on wood) had a miss-fire to date, and there have been times when I have taken more than 20 shots during the course of a squirrel hunting day. I only wish I could say I hit that many squirrels. It is important to slap the off lock side of the gun when the powder is loaded to be sure powder gets into the patent breech. The Pennsylvania rifle might be a bit long for your type of hunting, by Pedersol also makes the Scout rifle which is a cut down version of the Pennsylvania if you like that style of rifle.
So you actually can get past that small hole with a .22 jag?

So it's different than Byrds or rabbit.. I pick the shot out when I clean it. you see it there.
I don't use a shotgun for squirrels or animals who typically will often present a still pose like a turkey or deer. Now if they are flying or running quickly, I have to use a shotgun to get more shot out there as I am not good enough to hit something moving fast with a single projectile. But picking out shot is not my favorite thing since you invariable miss some until you bite down. So yeah I use my shotgun only when necessary. But no not with squirrel or if I have an alternative.

Exploring options for a specific squirrel rifle, percussion only. I’ve read and heard multiple times of issues with Pedersoli breech systems. I like to take things like this with a grain of salt, however, I also like to know what I’m getting into before hand.

This will be a hard working squirrel rifle that will see lots of action in thick and steep mountains and in all kinds of weather conditions. I do not have the time nor desire to have to fiddle with my ML’s while I’m hunting. I’ll no doubt be running a couple of patches down the bore after a few shots. Thus my concern about the picky breech comments I’ve read about on here. I’ve also read just recently that they require additional cleaning.

For those of you that have Pedersoli ML’s and shoots them multiple times every time you go out, please give your input.

Thank you
I don’t currently have a Pedersoli but have had. I have a custom 36 percussion with a simple drum breach that is more reliable with less putzing than the patent breaches I have/had. Gonna sell it soon, show you some pics if you want.

Back