• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli owners, speak up

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Exploring options for a specific squirrel rifle, percussion only. I’ve read and heard multiple times of issues with Pedersoli breech systems. I like to take things like this with a grain of salt, however, I also like to know what I’m getting into before hand.

This will be a hard working squirrel rifle that will see lots of action in thick and steep mountains and in all kinds of weather conditions. I do not have the time nor desire to have to fiddle with my ML’s while I’m hunting. I’ll no doubt be running a couple of patches down the bore after a few shots. Thus my concern about the picky breech comments I’ve read about on here. I’ve also read just recently that they require additional cleaning.

For those of you that have Pedersoli ML’s and shoots them multiple times every time you go out, please give your input.

Thank you

I had a .36 pedersoli in flint. It was more reliable than the percussion lock version. Use real black powder, and clean really well after shooting it and you should be ok. And slap the breech to settle the powder where it needs to be- and use 4 f if you can get it.

I don't know if rifles have different breech than the sxs shotguns. But I have 2 and have had zero problems. The only thing I use to clean my gun is a bucket of water and a patch and jag. I remove the nipples and "pump" water in and out vigorously. Never had a failure to fire.

Attachments

• 20240414_175924.jpg
    20240414_175924.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Not that I hunt with caplocks really anymore, but my missouri river hawken no longer releases from the set trigger. I haven't tried taking the lock apart and to be honest, it's really not a priority to spend the money to have it fixed when I only shoot flintlocks anyway these days.

Not that I hunt with caplocks really anymore, but my missouri river hawken no longer releases from the set trigger. I haven't tried taking the lock apart and to be honest, it's really not a priority to spend the money to have it fixed when I only shoot flintlocks anyway these days.
Thank you for the information.

The only reason why I am seeking information on a Pedersoli is because it’s a percussion. I want nothing to do with a flintlock. However, If I ever do buy a flintlock it will be a Kibler.

I have a Pedersoli Frontier in 36. My experience is the more you swab it, the more yo're likely to push gunk into the patent breech.

I use spit patches, and can get 9 or so shots before I have to actually clean. The last couple are stiff on loading.

HTH.
Thank you for the first hand information. I’ve never had an issue by wiping between shots with my Crockett. Not even after quite a few shots, as in 20 or so. Spit patches are out because I sometimes keep my squirrel rifle loaded for all day and/or several days before shooting it.

Thus I’m searching for something that can take the same treatment as my Crockett. I also hunt in quite a bit during rainy days and definitely in much humidity. Never a problem. Never had a misfire.

Whatever I get, it must be reliable.

Last edited:
I have Shotgun.

Sink hot water and dawn cleans it all out.. boiling hot water it drys fast.

I soak the nipples in windex. spray some threw it. Clean out carbon with pipe cleaner. Dry.. nipple pick it for no reason I think. Then install.

Pyrodex with number 11 was good for 3 shots. After that it was ehhh.

Carb cleaner leaves something in there that. Took 3 or 4 caps to get it to go each time I tried it.. after I got it to go it was good.

Even with the .209 mag sparks. It's the same kinda.. you get something in there. It won't fire either.

Last edited:
I like to handle musket caps.. it easyer to use I think.

I couldn't tell you if there more powerful. The rws number 11 pop just as loud. They both work.

The nipples. If you use any thread paist like "permatex. It could get on that pin hole. I use it still though. I put a little bit on a q tip or pipe cleaner end.. and just paint a little bit on the threads. Just a little bit.

Last edited:

The only reason why I am seeking information on a Pedersoli is because it’s a percussion. I want nothing to do with a flintlock. However, If I ever do buy a flintlock it will be a Kibler.
Not for nothing Kibler does make a squirrel killer (45) and since your a brain scrambler ,the squirrel ain't complaining ! And unlike what your using now does double duty on deer ! /Ed

I hunted it in the rain last year..

It worked.

I had it half in my jacket carry.

Loading in the rain welllll.. find a good tree to get under you know.

I know, that’s why I specifically gave you information on Pedersoli caplocks just like you asked…

Pedersoli guns are, at least the ones I’ve owned, decently made. Note, these are also pre fake covid, so maybe they’ve had some drop off. My frontier/blue ridge is one of the more accurate guns I own. I got a flint lock for it so I have both. Is it dead-on balls accurate for any one gun? I dunno… close for a Hatfield. I mean as far as construction.

If you want guaranteed ignition, brother you’re looking at the wrong type of guns.

I have the Blue Ridge in .36 Flint and it has been very reliable and is the most accurate rifle have. It is also my most used gun I own. It is a joy to shoot and using mink oil I never swab. I have a Tradition .36 percussion that I used for 40 years and now sits on the gun rack. Don't fear the flint it's a lot of fun.

Latest posts

Back