• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli or ruger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pardon my ignorance but what is a goonerization?
Thats what our member Mike (45D) does for folks. You have a pistol you love and you send it to him and he makes it love you back by working flawlessly and a tuning, spring replacement timing etc. Mine is in there now and Have Not had him work for me before but he has insanely good reviews and no bad so thats that.

My job cost me as much as the gun but I fully expect when I get it back it will be good to go for life. Also if you have a pistol that needs work like springs etc. he can do, But I would at that point get the works and have him goonerize it.

I was lurking around for along time before I contacted him and when I bought my sherrif off a member here it just had such good charater that I knew it was gonna live here forever, It would fail to fire (caps) way too often so he will correct that and caps jams etc and I may have a new favorite. Right now my Pietta 1851 is tied as a favorte.

Ruger, Ruger , Ruger, and Ruger. There is NO other revolver that is held in such high esteem on this forum as the Old Army. Just look at the prices being asked to understand that this is the best there is. Some may disagree but they are uneducated trolls who don't dance in the daylight. 🙂
The Ruger is outstanding. The fact that they are no longer being made, and that Ruger has stated that they will never resume manufacture of the Old Army is a contributing factor in the Ruger's value: cost. Rarity carries its own price.

I gotta say, it’s pleasant being new and stupid. While i been with BP rifles since 74, I just into pistols in March. I love my 3 Ubertis. The accuracy, hair triggers, quality, are just amazing.
I love mine. I must be the only one that cant imagine improving on what i got stock from factory although i did replace with slix shots nipples.
I even carry my little.31 1848 as my EDC.

Curious what is important to you in this evaluation? Historical correctness? Accuracy? Durability? Something else?
@SDSmlf cuts to the heart of the matter… the Pedersoli is suppose to be the cream of the crop in Remingtons. Yet a ten minute Google expedition reveals that they’re essentially a tuned Uberti with a match barrel. (Not a knock at all but I wonder if they are so populat in Europe due more to a lack of qualified custom gunsmiths willing to do that sort of work on a Pietta or UbertI? Here I can think of a half dozen guys who can build a Remington Target revolver equally capable.) Stock Rugers are much better built than any Remington replica but they are significantly bigger and heavier than the Remington and with adjustable sights not anywhere near as purty as the Remington copies. I have I think three of the Rugers left and I guess three Remingtons too. I haven’t shot any of the Rugers in well over a year, I have had the Remington .36’s out a few times. Up until recently I was shooting 4-5 times a week and 99% of the time I was shooting one of my three favorite 1860’s. Forgive my rambling but what you want from the revolver is really the first question. Each has its unique pros and cons.
Good luck with your search I am a huge fan of cap and ball revolvers and have been since I first busted a cap many years ago… I hope it give you as much pleasure as it has me and all these other people.

Sounds like most folks here have never seen a Pedersoli Remington pattern revolver

A Ruger Old Army would be a less expensive choice. The Pedersoli wins a good number of medals in MLAIC competitions. The Ruger is not a historically correct replica of any revolver and would not be legal in those matches.

If you want to buy a new percussion revolver the Pedersoli is the best one made today.

Curious what is important to you in this evaluation? Historical correctness? Accuracy? Durability? Something else?
I purchased a pietta 1858 to shoot in NMLRA matches and it is not up to standards as a match pistol. See my two posts called poo poo Pietta! The thing is falling apart after 50 shots.I did a trigger job and still I'm not happy with it. I have a 22 ruger revolver from the 70s and it's way better quality and I own a S&W 686 also high quality. so anything of less quality is out. I don't mind spending top dollar for top quality. I would say I'm looking for.
1: quality
2: accuracy
3: longevity
Also I'm the type person who likes hands on opinions by people who have actually used the guns. Preferably people who compete with them.

You say you won't buy anything of lesser quality than a S&W 686, yet you're actually considering an Italian reproduction revolver?

Dear Pedersoli,

Here is my check for the pistol I love more than the Ruger. I hope it's better than my S&W 686. Please send a tracking number when shipped.

Thank you,

M.E.P.

Last edited:
You say you won't buy anything of lesser quality than a S&W 686, yet you're actually considering an Italian reproduction revolver?

Dear Pedersoli,

Here is my check for the pistol I love more than the Ruger. I hope it's better than my S&W 686. Please send a tracking number when shipped.

Thank you,

M.E.P.
Silly boy
I thought you were "out".

I have a chance to buy a Ruger new model army or the Pedersoli Remington Pattern Target Muzzleloading Pistol 44.
Both are pricey,however I don't mind paying for quality. Has anyone shot the Pedersoli and how did it compare to the ruger.?
Not sure how to answer this without knowing yor planned use...Match shooting, defense, range plinking or hunting?

I own an ROA and a Lyman Colt 51 Navy ( kinda like a Pedersoli) I like shooting them both. If you want a gun for historical reproduction the Pedersoli would be a good choice. The ROA is a modern cap and ball not meant to be a reproduction. It shoots where you point it.

Not really, asking for educated opinions. Hell I drive a f150 and think it's better than a dodge. I never even drove a dodge. So my opinion is based on fantasy!
N’t really. I’ll listen to an argument for a GMC but I’ve never seen a hundred thousand mile Dodge Ram that I’d spend my money on… my last F150 went 275,000 with not a single issue. At one time we had a fleet of Fords and they were very good to us. Anyway… ;-)

Are you buying the pedersoli from midway or?

I purchased a pietta 1858 to shoot in NMLRA matches and it is not up to standards as a match pistol. See my two posts called poo poo Pietta! The thing is falling apart after 50 shots.I did a trigger job and still I'm not happy with it. I have a 22 ruger revolver from the 70s and it's way better quality and I own a S&W 686 also high quality. so anything of less quality is out. I don't mind spending top dollar for top quality. I would say I'm looking for.
1: quality
2: accuracy
3: longevity
Also I'm the type person who likes hands on opinions by people who have actually used the guns. Preferably people who compete with them.
A couple of the thoughts.
  1. I have not competed in NMLRA pistol matches, though I have shot in 45 ACP and 22RF pistol matches, different game.
  2. Are adjustable sights legal in NMLRA pistol matches. If not, limits options a bit.
  3. Just an observation, but I find competitive shooting to be a monkey see monkey do game in many cases. What gun(s) are the other competitors shooting? What gun(s) are the consistent top competitors shooting?

Latest posts

Back