• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Are Pedersoli revolvers worth the higher prices? Anybody have one?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your deformed bolt "ear" is actually the left leg of the bolt that rides up and slips over the bolt cam on the hammer. A new bolt has to be hand fitted and adjusted to regulate the timing of the bolt drop. The deformation of what you describe on the left leg "ear", is where the timing and bolt drop was adjusted at the factory. They don't always do a clean job of fitting at the various factories when adjusting the hand, I've experienced some bolts in revolvers from both Uberti and Pietta that have been better or worse as far as grinding and filing goes.

The tip of the left leg has to be slightly beveled at an angle, and in some cases a little taken off the tip to control bolt drop in relation the the rotation of the cylinder. You can see the slight bevel at the rear tip of the bolt as shown at "C", it allows the tip of the leg to slide smoothly over the bolt cam on the hammer. The timing of the bolt drop into the cylinder notch is determined at "D". If not enough metal is removed at point "D" then the bolt will not drop. If too much metal is removed, the bolt will drop too soon which will of course result in rubbing or cutting a drag line around the cylinder and possibly peening the leading edge of the notch. Below is a diagram which shows the points that has to be fitted for proper timing.

Cylinder Bolt.jpg

The bolt did not retract properly in the condition I got it. At half cock the bolt was still a bit up and I had to ease off the screw that holds the bolt spring to make it retract sufficiently.
The Pedersoli rep told me not to use the gun with that bolt and ordered me another even though it took too long to arrive .
The OP asked for comments from someone who actually has the gun and their thoughts . I saw a lot of other stuff so I addressed his original question … I think 😀
Seems like I’m the only one who responded that actually has one. I like it… but it’s better than I’ll ever be , I believe .
You do bring up an interesting topic about the proper timing of the bolt.

Last edited:
Well honestly, they all work the same so regardless of owning one or not, the fix is the same.
Didn't see where he asked for "owners only".
Nice diagram Gunny.
Mike

Well honestly, they all work the same so regardless of owning one or not, the fix is the same.
Didn't see where he asked for "owners only".
Nice diagram Gunny.
Mike
Thanks, but I can't remember where I got it, probably from one of Kuhnhausen's books, if so, I give him credit.

Yep, lots of experience with Remingtons ( I actually coil spring them). No need to mention short arbors when talking about Remingtons, only when folks are describing problems with open-top platform revolvers would that be a topic.
Just trying to help.

Mike

probably from one of Kuhnhausen's books

I think I read this description somewhere , maybe regarding tuning a Pietta , because I remember the D face in the diagram being the one that controls where the bolt hits on the cylinder . As I said, I think you brought up a good topic about the timing of the bolt interaction with the cylinder.

No Pedersoli is Worth what they charge. Their guns come with shoddy workmanship.and many times they're in need of work from a good gunsmith. And yes I own several of them and each has been a major disappointment

Thank everyone for your advice and suggestions.
I’m in the market for a percussion revolver and there is a used but well cared-for Pedersoli revolver for sale I’ve been looking at. However I’ll give it a miss as I can’t justify the price tag. I’m just not good enough to maximise it’s potential.

I have a Santa Barbara.What makes it “extra good”?
They were made in the same arsenal that makes Spains military weapons, and they use high grade Ordnance steel for the 1858s

Is it overkill? Probably, the originals were basically Iron but a Santa Barbara 1858 will probably never wear out

They're like Parker Hale Enfields, they're just a big cut above the Italian rifles and have better steel in the barrels and locks

FYI .. the topic got me back to the range with the Ped Remmy . It really is fun . It is very accurate if clean but does fall off quickly it seems .
At any rate the conversation inspired me to take my time and see what I can do with it. To be fair , I’ll have to try the same routine with ubertis & Piettas . At any rate I got out there today and had a great time next to a friend with an Uberti Colt 1860 …

The Pedersoli 1858 Pattern Remington is currently the best percussion revolver you can buy: head and shoulders above all other currently available replicas. European shooters are generally not averse to paying good money for high quality. Pedersoli revolvers are rarely seen in the US because shooters here are not willing to pay for them.
I have to agree. A gentleman in my club has one and let me handle it. It’s in factory condition, meaning no after market modifications. It is the best percussion revolver I ever handled. The action was smoooooth! Perfectly timed cylinder with no stop-block drag, the cylinder spun like a windmill in a cyclone, the trigger pull was light and snappy, positive and solid lock up at full cock…wow! It was so well balanced and the wide butt filled my hand like a glove. The Pedersol’s rifling was much more prominent compared to the Pietta.
He also had a nickel-plated Pietta ‘58 side by side. The difference was striking. The Pietta, though well made, was definitely nose-heavy, the cylinder had a little drag to it, the full-cock notch could fall to half cock it not deliberately pulled hard into full cock. Now to be completely fair, both revolvers were dry of oil or any lubricant, and I’m certain that a bit of de-burring and stone honing, and some oil, would have certainly have improved the Pietta; it is a fine weapon. . (Thank you, John, for letting me handle your pistols).
Of course the proof is in the pudding, and I did not actually shoot either weapon.
Now I have first hand knowledge and can answer my own question; the Pedersoli is better made for sure.

Attachments

• B24FC0F3-8360-4872-A911-CBA71D361402.jpeg
    B24FC0F3-8360-4872-A911-CBA71D361402.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • F5571E27-4226-4ABD-8378-BBC6F20D162D.jpeg
    F5571E27-4226-4ABD-8378-BBC6F20D162D.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
NO! and NO!

Revolvers made decades ago are better than the sharp cornered, easily breakable, chewing gum soft, junk being produced today.

All in all, it seems you've answered your own questions.

P.S. The biggest piece of BP manure I ever bought had Pedersoli on the barrel.
The Pedersoli 58 Pattern Remington revolvers win their share of medals in international competition.

Compared to Uberti and Pietta, Pedersoli revolvers here in Australia are very expensive.

A new 1858 Remington Army by Uberti or Pietta are about AU$600 (US$425-ish). Pedersoli’s cost another thousand dollars on top.

Considering how much better Uberti and Pietta are nowadays than in the past, and the relatively low cost of upgrading nipples and polishing/fitting the innards, I can’t see how anyone would pay so much money for a reproduction revolver from a different Italian factory

BTW, I‘m a fan of Pedersoli’s long guns and own two of them, so I’m not bad-mouthing the company.

Any experiences?
Something's off there; another whole thousand just because of the mfgr.? Maybe the Aussie distributor is making a fast dollar there!

Back