• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fred, I've posted a number of times about my love for my .54 Rocky Mountain Hawken. As others have said, it's heavy at around 10 pounds, but I think that's a tad lighter than the average weight of the originals!

From my years of experience with mine I think you can expect a gun of top quality as far as production guns go. The only way you'll get a better "Hawken" is to go custom as these, IMO, are as close in looks as you'll get in a current production model.

The triggers on this are much better than the lower-priced Pedersoli's like the Frontier. Crisp pull on the front without the set, which I like for hunting in cold weather with gloves. I've taken a number of deer on the move as the balance and stability are such that I can follow right along and execute the shot. I've had no issues with the finish, though with hard use it will pick up dents. Mine shoots PRB's and Hornady GP's very well despite a 1-65 slow twist. Length of pull is 13 3/4".

Obviously this gun is not going to fit everyone. Each person will have their own specifications and tolerances in a gun. This one sure works for me. I love it!

Let me know if you want any more specifics.

Here's a few pics to show how nice this gun looks in the field and a sample of the hunting results I've been able to achieve with it.

48c1b7f7-700e-43ca-9999-373991e52390.jpg

Barry Geipel said:
I have the maple version in .50. Like others have said, it is very heavy. On day one it was a beauty to behold, but the finish is a really thin varnish that does not hold up at all to field use. I will probably refinish the whole gun at some point.

It is a very accurate rifle. I have shot it in a number of woods walks and it preformed great. I Ike the weight as it still balances well. I have taken it on two hunts (unsuccessful) and the weight did not bug me.

Howdy Barry,
Private message sent!

To everyone:

I know you hunters are rightly proud of your hunting success but I have a request to make.

Please post the photos of your kills in the Traditional Hunting area of the Forum rather than posting them in other Forum areas.

We do have some members who are not fond of seeing dead wildlife.

That is the very reason the Traditional Hunting forum area was created.
It was made so you guys and gals could post your pictures in a place where everyone viewing them will be happy to see them.

I know some hunters will say, "Well, let the mamby pamby target shooters find out what the real world looks like." but that's not the point.

The point is, we each enjoy our muzzleloading guns for many different reasons and we should all respect the likes and dislikes of our other members even if they are different than our own.

I'll get off my soap box now. :grin:

Spikebuck, that Pedersoli is a beautiful rifle that has obviously served you very, very well in your beautiful Wisconsin deer woods.
Zonie, thanks for the little sermon. I had absolutely no idea we had folks here who get upset at the sight of harvested game.

The rifle is very nice and I did think seriously about jumping on the one that was for sale in the classifieds here on the site. I see its no longer there but I was drooling over it none the less. Al

Per your suggestion, I deleted several of the photos from your earlier post.

I did leave one photo showing the fine deer you harvested and the rifle you used.

I'm sure the non-hunters will understand.

Al Rittenhouse said:
Im a panty waist target shooter. Im not offended. I know forum rules and I understand. Al

Another pantie-waist here and not offended in the least..I don't hunt except squirrels and such, which are over-running my perimeter. I've taken my share of deer (not with a ML) and decided I don't much like venison. For me, it ain't worth the hassle of processing.

Plus, the hunting areas in my county are diminishing while the deer are flourishing in the suburbs, where the sound of a rifle is a 9-1-1 call. Citizens complain about deer eating thier flower beds but don't want anyone shooting them. Go figure.

Fact is, I like putting holes in paper. Fellow pantie-waists will understand completely.

" Citizens complain about deer eating thier flower beds but don't want anyone shooting them. Go figure."

If your fair citizens sprinkle chile peppers and tobacco sauce on their flowers, the deer won't eat them.
You may get a large influx of Hispanics and Irish ( me ) eating their flowers. :grin:
Fred

Gene, sorry to hear this familiar problem also infects Georgia. We have a famously liberal college/theater town, Ashland, with the same issue, deer so bold they are attacking people walking their dogs in broad daylight. Solution? "Whatever you do don't hurt them!"

:doh:

i read somewhere that the deer in new mexico were eating pepper plants so bad that the fields had to be fenced in.

BillinOregon said:
Gene, sorry to hear this familiar problem also infects Georgia. We have a famously liberal college/theater town, Ashland, with the same issue, deer so bold they are attacking people walking their dogs in broad daylight. Solution? "Whatever you do don't hurt them!"

:doh:

It's not a liberal town/county, it's that no one wants people shooting in the neighborhoods. It's a big problem in New York City, I believe, and environs. They don't have a solution in NYC that's agreeable and effective.

Gene, hear you. My Oregon town considered allowing an archery harvest, then begged off when it meant some deer might actually be harmed. I think that the folks there (many California retiress) will attempt shaming the deer during breeding time to discourage impregnation.

I handled one of the maple Pedersoli .50 caliber Hawkens one time at a Cabelas.

Oh my gosh!

SO beautiful! And felt so good! I've yet to buy a single muzzleloading rifle... but a .54 Rocky Mountain Hawken with the maple furniture may very well be mine soon, at least someday! Today I was driving through St. Louis on out through Missouri, and seeing those rolling hills sure put me in the mood to buy a Hawken!

Back