• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Al Rittenhouse said:
Spike
Is this rifle real muzzle heavy when shooting it?

Al, I'll answer two ways.

First, I personally don't feel the muzzle being heavy. For me the balance is such that I can hold it more steady than any other rifle I have, and that includes the several guns with swamped barrels that I have.

But, the way I hold and shoot may be quite different from you. So, to give you a piece of info that is empirical vs purely subjective I measured the balance point on my rifle. It balances on two fingers right at the front barrel wedge key...which happens to be about where I hold the forestock. That point is 24.5" from the muzzle and 26 inches from the vertical center of the buttplate.

Hope that gives you some useful information.

As a side note, I built a ToTW flint Hawken fullstock with a 36" straight Octagon barrel and that one feels a little muzzle heavy to me. The extra barrel length and the wood forestock full length adds weight "out there." If I ever build another one of those for myself, it will have a tapered octagon barrel!

Thanks Spike. Im thinking I might order one from Cabelas. I know if it comes and I don't like it I can return it. I sure do like the Hawken rifles and I wish this one would be offered in a Flint. But thats ok Im not against another cap gun in the safe. Al

BillinOregon said:
Gene, hear you. My Oregon town considered allowing an archery harvest, then begged off when it meant some deer might actually be harmed. I think that the folks there (many California retiress) will attempt shaming the deer during breeding time to discourage impregnation.
Deer condoms!
That's the answer!
:shocked2:

Bill, glad to hear yours arrived. Will look forward to an update once you've had a chance to give her a shot. Mine works great with 90 gr of 2F and a .530 ball and .015 patch. OR, as I've mentioned, same powder with the Hornady GP works great as well even with the slow twist.

The only thing keeping me from buying a Pedersoli Hawken maple is that I'm afraid I would damage the delicate finish of the wood.

I think a Lyman's Great Plains rifle would fit me better, as I am a hard user on my guns.

There is a Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken in .54 with a walnut stock on GB right now. It looks like a beautiful rifle. Seller states that it is unfired. Sarting bib was 742.00. There is a couple of days before the auction ends. Shows alot of nice pics. of the rifle. No one has placed a bid on it as of yet. If I had the money I would pick it up in a heart beat. Nice looking rifle at a great price. Also looked up to proof mark code on barrel. Gun was built in 2007. Very nice looking wood and fit and finish is excellent. Not a mark or scratch anywhere on the rifle. If only I had the money! Respectfully, cowboys1062.

Love my RMH. Haven't shot it years though, where I am is difficult to go gun hunting with public land being overrun during season and private land is hard to get permission for. I've relegated my big game hunting to deer on base with a bow.

I did get an aftermarket ramrod, that was the only thing that didn't impress me with the gun. I don't know if mine still needs more "break in," but when I was shooting it, I hadn't quite dialed mine in to what I consider acceptable hunting sized groups. I don't think I've even put 100 rounds through it.

LOL! You're just like myself. We want about every one we see! :grin:

Back