• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pedersoli frontier

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have seen a lot of discussion about the alignment of the cock and the frizzle. Does anyone have a good illustration of what the alignment is supposed to look like. I thought I would check that before I start shooting it

We know you mean "frizzen".

You want the front edge of the flint to be parallel to the face of the frizzen. The Inner edge of the flint should also be placed to match the edge of the frizzen and still clear the barrel.

Jeff Fairchild said:
What about the angle at half and full cock?
At half cock, the edge of the flint should be parallel to the frizzen face and not touching. At full cock, the edge should still be parallel but further away.

Not certain what you mean by angle....

As long as the flint contacts the frizzen face perpendicular to it and at enough downward angle so it scrapes and not bashes directly into it, you should get sparks. Ideally, it's said that when fully forward, the bottom edge of the flint should aim into the bottom middle of the pan, though I've never found this absolutely necessary.

The flint should be set so it scrapes the face of the frizzen. If the flint strike is perpendicular, the flint bashes the frizzen and life of the flint can be reduced. A simple adjustment is to use a wooden match stick under the flint near the jaw screw to raise the rear of the flint and give the flint more of a scraping angle.

The angle of the flint should be about 60°-65° relative to the face of the frizzen when 90° would be perpendicular to the face.

I've seen others mention a 25-30 degree angle but I think they were speaking of a angle measured from a horizontal line like the axis of the barrel bore.

Back