• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Frontier .50 percussion at 25 yds

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sooo, hoping to not stray from forum rules....anyone ever mount a rear ladder sight on a muzzleloader? I am very familiar with this type of sight and find it very accurate. Skinner sights just happens to have one that would fit my Frontier. Just curious. No idea when ladder sights first came into use historically (probably late 1800's) but I find them quite handy and comfortable....I see some with tangs and peep sights, any ladder users?
When I was having cataract problems and looking for peep sights to mount on my rifles to help me see the target, I mounted a ladder type sight on my Pedersoli Tryon rifle. I bought the sight from Dixie Gun Works and although it's not the greatest, it does work.
The rifle shot way high with the original front sight on it so, I replaced the front sight with a target sight.

tryon-001A.jpg

Because of the added height of the front sight and with the ladder sight at its lowest setting, I could get good groups at 100 yards.
I left the rear sight on the rifle but it's pretty useless now. Using it with the new front sight, the rifle shoots really low. Also, with the rear ladder sight folded down to the rear, the top of it is very close to my shooting eye when I take aim.

All in all, I think it looks pretty snazzy but, it's not needed for shooting roundballs at 100 yards so, it's pretty useless.

Today at the range. I have been reading threads on here about the sights, shooting low, and how to get it dialed in. Great info on here. I wanted to get a good 3 shot group and the last 3 today were just that. Shooting from 1 knee, at 25 yds. 50 gn of Triple 7, .015 patch and .490 round ball. This rifle is quite new to me as is this old style of shooting, so I am good with the results today. I do however have to file the front sight down, as the 3 in the middle were achieved with the front sight level with the top of the buckhorns. The first 3 shots were low to the right. Sure is fun to shoot though...
Great Start,my 50cal Blue Ridge flintlock shoot 30 grains 3f.490 ball dead on at 20 yrds Squirrel load,and 60 grains 3f dead on at 50 yrds.I would clean between shots from a bench and up to 60 grains start at 50 yrds before filing anything.

Ladder sight installed on the Frontier. While not period correct, I still think it looks pretty skookum. It's not browned but that's ok, there's blue in the lock. Can't wait to shoot it. No filing on the front sight now. :)Ladder5a.jpgLadder1a.jpgLadder4.jpegLadder2.jpegLadder3.jpeg

Last edited:
Has anyone tried a Lyman-style folding sight on the tang of their percussion rifle? Pretty close to what is shown above. All advice or photos welcome

Back