• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pecatonica Underhammer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kemart17

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Pecatonica, has anyone built a underhammer kit from this company, was looking at purchasing one.

hmmm ... didn't know they offered one, but I've dealt with them in the past and I wouldn't hesitate to do so again: great folks, reasonable prices, and good gear.

good luck with your project - let us know how it turns out, and remember: we LOVE pictures!

:grin:

Pecatonica River Longrifles offers two underhammer gun set part kits.
The first link is to the "H & A Underhammer".
http://www.longrifles-pr.com/underhammer.shtml

The second link is to the "Allen Underhammer" which has some sort of "enclosed action". Unfortunately, it doesn't show a picture.
http://www.longrifles-pr.com/underhammerAllen.shtml

Folks noticing the price for "Stock and forend" at $24 need to realize this is the cost for profiling the wood into shape. It does not include the cost of the wood.

To price the wood follow this link.
http://www.longrifles-pr.com/stockblanks.shtml

I think you would use the "halfstock" price but to be on the safe side it would be best to call Dick Greensides (the owner) at 815-968-1995.

As a personal comment I'll say Pecatonica River Longrifle is an excellent company to deal with.

Their wood prices are very reasonable and the CM#3 curly maple has never disappointed me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Deer Creek kit version of the H&A under hammer. I've had it a long time but have finally decided to get 'er done. In examanig the parts I found the trigger guard/hammer spring to be dead soft. It will need to be tempered. If you go with a PR kit check the spring. You may need to give it some attention.

i have built 5 underhammers the first was a deer creek kit but the other 4 were from Pecatonica. Dick Greensides is a good and honest man to deal with and goes out of his way to help customers and every time i have seen hi at a shoot hes shooting an underhammer.

both style of kits are well made and easy to build and inexpensive. i would reccomend you order a extra ramrod pipe 1 works but 2 is better. also get any barrel work done if you dont feel confident doing it yourself. his standerd grade wood is great, i have 2 stocks maple and 2 walnut with nice figure and no issues. the hardest thing to do on the kit is fitting the butt plate its real easy to remove to much wood but i am getting better at it.

rifle #2 36" .45 barrel H&A action maple. this is my favorite all purpose woods rifle and offhand target rifle with click adjustable steel rear sight. off the bench at 50 yards its a 1" rifle with roundball. now this winter i have been experminting with minies and have gotten 1.25" group once. great for shooting in cold weather.

rifle #3 36" .36 barrel H&A action walnut. my squirrel rifle i built to replace #1 i sold years ago. very accurate, with click adjust rear sight. used this rifle all during 2015 summer league at local club, #2 was on sideline for fixing. .36 shot during league from 15 yards to 100 for the 100 yard gong it helps to have someone spot for your hit sometimes you dont always hear the clang.

rifle #4 34" .45 1" across the flats Allen Action maple. this is my bullet rifle for 200 yard plus shooting with a modern mildot scope. with a 90gr charge launching 450 gr bullets i can easily from a rest make hits from 200-300 yards and a few times once at 600.

rifle #5 what i am building now 38" .40 1" across the flats Allen action walnut. this will be my roundball bench rifle for 25-100 yards. this will have apeature sights i bought an old german rear aperature for this rifle. also i plan on trying cast .40 s&w bullets to see what happens kind of like the old picket rifle

rifle #6 future project Allen action walnut 12" pistol barrel .54? plan on building a short rifle like the one shown on cap an ball youtube channel but underhammer not flintlock should make for a great hikeing rifle for plinking and protection from cattails, rotten stumps and pot growers.

these are my rifles. the only underhammers i dont like are those i dont have. i wish pecatonica would come out with a complete bilinghurst rifle kit.

thanks, that is great info, i wood like to build a 32 for squirrel hunting, really like the look of the h&a action.

Latest posts

Back