• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

No Answers shoots an underhammer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi - my third muzzloading build was a Numrich 'Pennsylvania Half Stock' Kit 45 cal - I made a lot of changes but barrel/lock/stock and trigger guard were as supplied in the kit - it shot like a charm and I did a lot of shooting with it. The guy that talked me out of it is still enjoying it. I do have an underhammer 45 cal but it is a NZ barrel and a home-made action (don't know who made it) shoots a 450gr slug I'm still trying to work up a load for it. My other understriker is a 32 pistol by Elmer Johnson of Mattawa Washington - it shoots really well and I've won several Medals with it
Congratulations on winning medals. You wrote it shoots really well, but YOU must shoot really well also. I put a lot of rounds through mine from a bench to work up a very tight pattern. It puts the ball exactly where I'm aiming when it fires, which might not be exactly where I wanted to be aiming when I release the trigger.

Not yet, I got it only recently, happened into my local Gun shop and they didn't know what to do with it so I got it cheap. I plan on firing it tomorrow.
Well I fired the H&A Underhammer today 60gr.ffg and round nose Minie's and a couple of Trashcans, and couldn't hit a 12" plate at 50 yds, I suspect the bent front sight didn't help but I'll take most of the blame.
I also fired my Korean Zoauve copy and I was actually happy with that one 3 out of 5, not stellar but first time firing it, same load.
Once I get the H&A sight repaired I'll give that another try.
Not yet, I got it only recently, happened into my local Gun shop and they didn't know what to do with it so I got it cheap. I plan on firing it tomorrow.

Well I fired the H&A Underhammer today 60gr.ffg and round nose Minie's and a couple of Trashcans, and couldn't hit a 12" plate at 50 yds, I suspect the bent front sight didn't help but I'll take most of the blame.
I also fired my Korean Zoauve copy and I was actually happy with that one 3 out of 5, not stellar but first time firing it, same load.
Once I get the H&A sight repaired I'll give that another try.
You probably know this already so don't be offended that I suggest this. Use a bench rest to find your pattern at 25 yards, then move sights accordingly until it is on your target center. Then try different loads until you determine what provides the smallest group. The work now will make for more fun later.

You probably know this already so don't be offended that I suggest this. Use a bench rest to find your pattern at 25 yards, then move sights accordingly until it is on your target center. Then try different loads until you determine what provides the smallest group. The work now will make for more fun later.
Thanks, I am in now way offended, I am grateful and will follow your advice.

Latest posts

Back