• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patent Breech trouble.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have to be very careful if you want to bore the breech plug out to bore diameter. In some cases the resulting threads would not have enough engagement of the threads in the barrel for full strength. I do know of some cases where the Pedersoli breech plugs have been bored out, but never to bore size.

BAD IDEA boring out a Patented Breech, I would HIGHLY advise AGAINST doing something like that

Here is an Old Junk Bore TC Renegade Breech Plug i cut up for educational purposes, Here you can see the U shaped Patented Breech, Look at the Threads Here and Think what you would be Doing if you “Bored” The Patented Breech Out, Bad idea!
jqWvR9G.jpg

My bet is your Problem is in the Fire Channel and not the Patented Breech. I am not sure what the Pedersoli Patented Breech looks like? I am Very Familiar with TC’s U Shaped Patented Breech, They actually Made a Scraper for it.

Here you can See it inside the Patented Breech
Rqu1zjsm.jpg
tk38n4tm.jpg

My Advise is a DEEP Steam Cleaning through the Fire Channel,

Like this
6CNNRq2l.jpg

Can be a Bit Shocking how much CRUD is the Fire Channel/Patented Breech (Fire Channel being the No. 1 Culprit!) This is after a Steam Cleaning on a Barrel that i was 100% Positive was Thoroughly Clean, As you can see i was Wrong! The Power of Steam is AMAZING!!
R1WPAHj.jpg

My bet is your Problem is in the Fire Channel and not the Patented Breech. I am not sure what the Pedersoli Patented Breech looks like? I am Very Familiar with TC’s U Shaped Patented Breech, They actually Made a Scraper for it.

Here you can See it inside the Patented Breech
Rqu1zjsm.jpg
tk38n4tm.jpg

The Pedersoli patent brea h is different. It has a drum that screws straight through into the side of the smaller chamber.

The Pedersoli patent brea h is different. It has a drum that screws straight through into the side of the smaller chamber.
I think your thinking of the CVA patent breech, made by Ardesa in Spain and currently being sold by Traditions.

The CVA patent breech is the one that uses a drum or large vent plug that screws into the side of the breech plug.

Pedersoli's breech is more similar to the Thompson Center style.

There have been some great ideas floated in response to your question. Problem is no one else has seen the rifle. I suggest you buy an Endoscope. I just bought one from Walmart, about $13 with free shipping. Being able to actually look inside is a tremendous help. I have pictures of my Pedersoli 50 cal Kentucky flintlock and Frontier 32 cal. The 32 started life as a percussion but I changed it to a Flinter. Both have patented breeches. Neither has a channel of any length. Basically both have a small chamber centered on the main one. This makes cleaning easier and more complete. This is a picture of the 50 cal. The shinny bar is a pick I pushed in from the touch hole. This type of breech could be cleaned with a 22 cal or 6mm cleaning brush on your cleaning rod. It is very possible so much carbon has built up the hole has become too small. I'll post a picture of the 32 on my next post.

Attachments

• Ped 50 c FL 1-7-18.jpg
    Ped 50 c FL 1-7-18.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 122
Here is a picture of the Frontier 32 cal. Same idea the pin is through the touch hole for reference. If your problem is too much carbon I suggest letting it soak for quite awhile and starting with a scraper. The last thing I do after cleaning is run a very wet with Ballistol patch through the bore. My rifles are stored muzzle up, over time the Ballistol will seep down into the Patent Breech and soften any carbon which is there. Before shooting I run dry patches through and a blast of air from my compressor. Here is the picture of the Frontier.

Attachments

• Ped 32 Fl 1-8-18.jpg
    Ped 32 Fl 1-8-18.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 99
My Advise is a DEEP Steam Cleaning through the Fire Channel,

Much ado about a nearly non-existent problem. More than 45 years of target shooting (many-many thousands of rounds) two modified TC rifles, I have never had a failure to fire due to breech gunk up. For those who do have this problem several factors lead to it. One is using a very wet patch for swabbing, the other is using too large a jag. I swab with a spit dampened flannel patch on a slightly undersized jag. When finished cleaning after a shooting session I squirt some carburetor/brake cleaner through the nipple to get rid of any detritus left behind by regular cleaning. I then swab some more, lubricate for rust protection and put away until next shooting session. Quicker and simpler to do than write about.

mancill said - "What i ended up doing is going to a thinner patch and ball. .480"

I'm glad that you found a method that works good for you.

Last edited:
Mancill, I have a couple guns with a patent breech and some without. I do not experience the problem you are having because I do not swab between shots pushing all that fouling into a concentration point, the patent breech. For the range where I will be shooting a lot, I soak my patches with a moose milk type mixture, I use that because I don't produce enough spit to make it through a good range session and that stuff is pretty close to spit. If I'm using a .50 cal. I use a .495 ball and .022" thick pillow ticking, and yes, I use a short starter. With that tight patch, well soaked, and ball combination once the ball is started it goes down just as easily as the first loading, pushing any fouling down with it. at the end of the day my bore is as clean as if I fired one shot. It also helps if you smooth out the bore at the muzzle. I do this with some 220 emery on my thumb and wriggle back and forth while rocking the barrel back and forth with the other hand making my way around the circumference of the bore, I go over it again with 400 paper and it is smooth, slightly rounded with no edges to tear the patching. It is a system that works with all my calibers. It works and makes shooting a more pleasurable experience. Worth a try.
Robin

Back