• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patching Materials

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hylander

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Where can I find .015 patching material. I get pillow ticking .018 from walky world but hav not seen anything tight weave in say
.013 - .015

Eastern Maine Shooting Supplies had a special on all it's patching in Sept. , or August. Like most dealers of precut patching , don't believe the printed thickness on the bag , compression mic. the patching to see what it really is. I buy .016 , to get .012 , to .014.. I guess the folks selling the patching use the "duck bill " , thickness gauges , instead of compression micrometers.

Last edited:
Interesting. The ticking I buy at Walmart is .015". I use a click ratchet type micrometer to measure. It might compress a bit. But, whatever, it works for me. Or try Hobby Lobby.
I've measured a pretty good sized sample of pillow ticking from Walmart as well as other sources and found quite a bit of variation. The Joanne drill has always been very consistent for me.

I don't measure a lot of it anymore. I've gotten so I can rub it between fingers and tell if it will work.

The material I cut for patches has changed over the decades. Long ago I used whatever I could find around the house, t-shirts, scraps, etc. Later came pillow ticking at somewhere around .014" or .015" and that lead to mattress ticking of about .017". I found some cotton duck for around .018" which worked pretty well. Then some years back I tested heavy canvas of .023" to .024"and really like it. Measured with calipers I got .030" but by squeezing the jaws with both hands as hard as I could I got .024". Used with ball of .005" or .010" the prb is snug but still safely seated with the wood ramrod. This material compresses into the round and square grooves of the bore. No tearing or burning of the patches and they can be used again, they are in that good of condition.

Where can I find .015 patching material. I get pillow ticking .018 from walky world but hav not seen anything tight weave in say
.013 - .015
For best results measure thickness compressed. The tightest fit while still being able to reload for a second shot without cleaning. 3rd shot should not be easy to load, but not impossible. If you can load a 4th shot without cleaning, your patches are not thick enough. I used to deliver fabric to commericial sweat shops, and always looked in the dumper's for good shooting and cleaning patches. Almost all the denum I came across was NOT thick enough. I just measured my patches that I cut into 2 inch strips and pre-lube with a 7 to 1 mixture of water and water solable cutting oil. Dried evenly and then stored in a plastic bag. I can't find my mic but my calapers measure it at .018, holding it tight by hand. The mic can be screwed down tighter, but I moved it from it's usual spot. My bad! Of course I tried pillow ticking, but found it not tight enough. That is not to say that I won't find some that I like in the future. To test fabric for shooting patches, I take a large piece of fabric, lube it in the center, short start a ball, then pull it out. It should have marks from the lands, and marks from the weave! If the fabric has a finer weave on one side than the other, face the coarse side toward the steel, and the fine side toward the lead. This is what I do. Others may do something else? This gives me inch and a half groups at 50yds with no wind and no human error! lol To answer you question of where, I go to a fabric store where women buy there sowing stuff.

Latest posts

Back