• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm using pocket drill for now. I believe it's going to shoot good for my 36. My only thing is I wish it was about .003 thinner. Takes some good whacks with the heel of my hand on the short starter. I need right at .025 that's not compressed.Anyone know of a good patch fabric that is that thickness?

Interesting dilemma. Over the years I worked my way to where I cut patches from heavy canvas - .030" but .023" or .024" compressed. The loads are kinda tight but will seat with just the wood underbarrel ramrod. I use it in my Rice radius deep groove barrels and my other square cut barrels a bit more shallow. Works in both like a charm but I do have a couple of barrels that do not like it.

Jo Ann fabric red and blue pillow ticking comes out to .015 and .019 after washing with no detergent on hot and drying on high in dryer. Are you washing the sizing out of your pocket drill? Use a wood mallet on short starter. Less palm bruises. Denim blue jean patching is thick enough for .715 round balls out of a Curly Gostomski Sitting Fox barrel 12 gauge - roughly .73 caliber.

Are you lubing with spit or patch lube? In my limited experience to date, spit works better with a patch that's just a hair too thick. Maybe because it soaks into the material better? Dunno.

I use a bunch of cotton t shirt material , its cheap to free , . 012 -.015 thick , the pillow ticking is usually .018-.020 ish ....

Latest posts

Back