• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

A bulk patch material?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am very familiar with the red/white and blue/white pillow ticking from Wal Mart. At my store, that tends to be .018. I have one rifle that is very tight with that patch material. I need a heavy hand with a stiff short starter and a lot of pressure on the rod to load. Poking around the fabric section with my calipers, I did not come across anything that was 100% cotton and thinner. There are no other stores around my small town, so I am somewhat relying on Wal Mart's selection. Anyone know of a material from Wal Mart that is .010-.015? Thanks

I am very familiar with the red/white and blue/white pillow ticking from Wal Mart. At my store, that tends to be .018. I have one rifle that is very tight with that patch material. I need a heavy hand with a stiff short starter and a lot of pressure on the rod to load. Poking around the fabric section with my calipers, I did not come across anything that was 100% cotton and thinner. There are no other stores around my small town, so I am somewhat relying on Wal Mart's selection. Anyone know of a material from Wal Mart that is .010-.015? Thanks
Try looking at their "pocket Drill" cloth. It is a tight weave 100% cotton, and comes in several thicknesses.

I am very familiar with the red/white and blue/white pillow ticking from Wal Mart. At my store, that tends to be .018. I have one rifle that is very tight with that patch material
Whichever material you choose, make sure that it is 100% cotton. No polyester mixed into the weave. The poly will melt. 100% cotton will work best.

Big spread there between .010 and .015. I have a number of rifles that shoot well with .010 patching. Rather than drive all over trying to find it locally I just buy it from Ox Yoke as it is inexpensive and goes a long way.

The JoAnnes fabric #40 drill might work. I see others stating that it's .018 but mine has always measured .017.

Also, this outfit has high quality patching materials. You can get a sample package of various thicknesses for a reasonable fee.

https://www.minutemanproducts.us/

When I talked to different folks in the fabric industry they assured me that the story of different colored stripes on ticking indicating material thickness is just not the case with the ticking made today. The colors are printed on the ticking (only on one side) and are strictly decorative. There will be slight variation from lot to lot from a manufacturer and every manufacturer’s ticking can vary from other manufacturers.

How you measure patch material will impact the dimension you come up with for thickness. Compared different measurements methods years ago, and found differences of nearly .010” on single samples. For example, here are results on a single sample of ticking recently purchased from Burlap Fabric (a small repeat of the earlier study showing .0045” variation). (Search Results -> Ticking : BurlapFabric.com, Burlap for Wedding and Special Events).
Using dial calipers results varied from .014”-.017” depending on where you gripped the fabric in the jaws. A regular micrometer with flat anvils measured .016”. With a Multi-T-Anvil micrometer resulting in .013”. A radius anvil micrometer measured .0125” (my preferred method). The Multi-T-Anvil and the radius anvil micrometers were the most repeatable among multiple users and would be considered ‘compressed’ measurements by most (think about Dutch’s system).

Back