• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patches burnt through...but

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
flintlock49 said:
He was using cotton cleaning patches, not exactly pillow ticking. Anyone catch that? I wouldn't expect them to group beyond 25 yds.

"So I took my Lyman trade rifle to the range today to raise its point of impact. I realized i forgot my ox yoke patches so I just used a regular cotton cleaning patch"
I did! right off the bat.....He also said:
lubed with a little spit
How much is a "little"?

I basically just moistened the patch by putting it my mouth for a second. Just damp.

I was astonished at the grouping, because of the patch obviously but also because it's a 1-48 twist, I always here the slower twist rates give the best accuracy. I'm going to go to the range tomorrow and perform a more comprehensive test so long as the weather cooperates. I'll let you guys know how it goes. I just wish I could get the photos to post so I can show you all what the results are.

Main function of the slow twist rate in a RB rifle is to enable you to use a larger charge without "stripping" the ball in the rifling.At moderate to light charge levels 1-48 works very well.

Try to measure the thickness of your cleaning patches and match that with either some ticking or pocket drill from the fabric store (or your local Wal-Mart if it has a sewing section). Just make sure the label states that it is 100% cotton. You can buy a yard of this fabric for the price of one bag of pre-cut patches. Wash it before using to remove the sizing and you will have enough patches for a whole shooting season. I usually fold the fabric over several times and use a proper sized washer or coin for a template, then cut the patches to size with scissors. Square patches seem to work just as well, but I still prefer to cut them round. Just looks better to my eye.

flintlock49 said:
He was using cotton cleaning patches, not exactly pillow ticking. Anyone catch that? I wouldn't expect them to group beyond 25 yds.

Reread his post. He stated that he got one ragged hole at 50 yards, and that is certainly minute of deer.......robin :v

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a TC Hawken .45 that would do that, and I used .011 cotton flannel spit patches. As stated. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Groups opened slightly today using the ox yoke patches, usually two shots touching with group sizes about an inch at 50 yards. Group was 3 inches at 100 yards. The cotton cleaning patches again had 1 hole results, but groups at 100 opened up to around 5 inches. Think I'll stick with the ox yoke.

Your group did not open from 1" to 5" because of the patch. Once out of the bore, the patch has no influence on poi. The group would only open by shooter error, largely caused by it being more difficult to hold simple sights in consistent alignment at 100yrd, compared to 50yrd, or by wind involvement. That, and all other involved factors are multiplied as more distance is added. If your accuracy is best at 50yrd with the cotton, then stick with it unless you find something even better.

k50 said:
Main function of the slow twist rate in a RB rifle is to enable you to use a larger charge without "stripping" the ball in the rifling.At moderate to light charge levels 1-48 works very well.

Yeah. That was the general idea behind "gain twist" rifling wasn't it?

Back