• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patched undersized balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthFork

40 Cal.
Reaction score
So I'm a cheapskate to a fault at times. Many years ago I was given a few ball molds. Mostly Lee but there was one Rapine and one Lyman. The Rapine is a nominal .670".

I own two 12 gauge smoothbores. One mikes .722" the other is .728". The Rapine casts pure lead balls at .672". I on a whim dug it out and cast a few today. I then miked two cotton flannel cleaning patches stacked on top of one another and it was .030" with normal pressure and .022" compressed.

Lubed up the two stacked patches and with easy thumb pressure the ball can be seated in the muzzle. There is no 'slop' in the bore what so ever. But it loads easy enough I think it will allow for some fouling to build up and still be able to be loaded.

So has anyone successfully tried to use undersized balls with extra thick patching? I need to find some proper tight weave cotton cloth before attempting this but I think it might be worth a shot. It would save me money I would otherwise spend on a larger diameter mold if it works. Any ideas on extra thick patching material?

I know several people who shoot undersized balls with double patches with no problems. heavy denim clothe maakes good patching material.

As fouling in the bore builds up and loading becomes stiff, you could always go back to only one patch if need be....

You could be on too something...đź‘Ť

I have shot 0.690" balls in a paper wrapped cartridge as well as 0.715" balls in my 0.780 bored Bess. As @Rifleman1776 has observed, since I got in, I was able to fire it out. I have managed to hit some targets with that configuration, but they need to be close or very large.

I don't see how you could build any consistent accuracy with that load configuration and be confident. Get a proper mold. I have shot a lot of ball through my smooth bores and there are many factors in making accuracy, consistency in all its parts is one of them. I have double patched many times in experimenting, though never trying to fill the gap that you are, and even with a rifle fliers happen with a lot more frequency. Good luck!
Robby

I've tried some loads with a double patched .590" ball in my 20 ga with promising results. It will take a bit more work in order to find a load that rivals my .600" prb.

I received a free bag of .69 balls and shot them out of my 10 gage Mowrey. I could hit the 50 yard target, somewhere.

I received a free bag of .69 balls and shot them out of my 10 gage Mowrey. I could hit the 50 yard target, somewhere.
well weren't they .69 DIA, RB,S? what did you expect? DAH? just too much over DIA.!

under size ball with a thick patch will work. it doesn't have to be super tight as there is no rifling to engauge. snug is all you need.
i would not double patch.
nothing wrong with being thrifty.
i would say use your 672 ball size and just experiment with different thickness of patches it will probably do just fine. ive used thick patches from bluejeans before.
ou

I’m gonna be shooting .575 in my 20ga using .025” ticking. It shoots good but haven’t tested accuracy yet. My gun has no rear sight however.
Walk

well weren't they .69 DIA, RB,S? what did you expect? DAH? just too much over DIA.!
I think I got more than I expected, since I didn't have any expectations. I double patched and they still went down the bore very easy. At 25 yards I could get in the scoring rings. I think there were a dozen balls in the bag and I shot them all. My shoulder was not happy after that. I never did get balls of correct size for that gun. Decided if I wanted to shoot balls I would use my Rifles. The Mowrey was not the greatest shotgun either because it was mounted on their standard drop stock with a curved buttplate.

IMHO one can often use undersize ball with some level of success. This is good to know when one finds the wrong size ball but desperately needs to fire a gun in the woods or at targets.

Instead of double patches try buckskin or chamois leather. I experimented with greased leather patches years ago. I could accurately shoot .50 caliber ball out of my .54 rifle. Nice thing is you can reuse the patches.

The reason I was experimenting was to see what long hunters did after their cloth supply ran out. I figured leather patches are an advantage, using smaller ball and easily replaceable deerskin.

I think I got more than I expected, since I didn't have any expectations. I double patched and they still went down the bore very easy. At 25 yards I could get in the scoring rings. I think there were a dozen balls in the bag and I shot them all. My shoulder was not happy after that. I never did get balls of correct size for that gun. Decided if I wanted to shoot balls I would use my Rifles. The Mowrey was not the greatest shotgun either because it was mounted on their standard drop stock with a curved buttplate.
I under stand.

Latest posts

Back