• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Suggestions for a round ball mold

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ELewis

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Hey all! I have a 1766 Charleville repro, and the barrel at the muzzle measures right around .682 give or take a hair(maybe as much as .685, it's tough to measure with calipers)......so I have been using .672 round balls from TOTW along with a .010 patch, and I've gotten pretty good results. I can put 10 shots in a IPSC target at 50 yards, so good enough for me. My issue is that TOTW charges $19 for 25 balls...yikes. So I went searching for a mold, and the only two I can come up with is a .662 by LYMAN, and a .670 by Marty's molds. I thought I had found a .672 from Moose's molds.....since it is listed on his website, but when I emailed he said that he stopped making round ball molds about 4 years ago and hasn't updated his website. Do any of you fine folks have any suggestions??? I am leaning toward the LYMAN and just using a .020 or .018 patch.....thanks!!!

Check your bore's dimensions a few more times, then contact these folks: (no title) Excellent service and product, and now with the British pound almost at par with the U.S. dollar, a great price as well. Although my link says "no title", try it but if it fails, look at ball moulds/com

Buffalo Arms shows a .675” Pedersoli round ball mould in stock for about $97. I’m pretty sure this is for the steel blocks only, without handles. I’m sorry but I don’t know how to post a link from the iPhone, but you can Google “buffalo arms round ball mould” and scroll through the list.

I don’t know if that ball size is near enough for your needs, but it is the closest I was able to find for you.

Good luck!

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
Buffalo Arms shows a .675” Pedersoli round ball mould in stock for about $97. I’m pretty sure this is for the steel blacks only, without handles. I’m sorry but I don’t know how to post a link from the iPhone, but you can Google “Buffalo arms round ball mould” and scroll through the list.

I don’t know if that ball size is near enough for your needs, but it is the closest I was able to find for you.

Good luck!

Notchy Bob
thank you

Back