• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patched Conical Pic

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brpc

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Can ya'll see a pic of a 58 cal group by clicking on the below link. I'm just learning to use photo bucket. Jim

58balletgroup.jpg

Is that a Buffalo Co. Ball-et with the cloth wrapped around the base? I have some .50 cal. ball-ets but haven't tried them in my slow twist barrels. they are supposed to shoot well in round ball twist rate barrels. What kind of rifle and range did you fire the group? Looks like good shooting. :applause:

I forgot to mention that I spent a summer in Ft. Benning in 1969. We shot smokeless powder in 5.56mm at about 3000fps then.

Newhawken:

Thank you for replying.

It is a 58 cal Ballet. I was attempting to solve the slip fit problem of these bullets. It does do that and additionally brings the group size down to about 2 inches(the group in the picture is 2 and 1/8) at 50 yds. The load is 100 grains loose 777. This is rather stout but bearable.

There is some vertical stringing due to my degenerating eye sight. I can't get a really precise 6 o'clock hold any longer.

The barrel is a 1/66 Green Mountain. I have an additional Green mountain barrel in 1/48. It will not shoot the Ballets at all.

As for the wrap, I just cut a piece of patch slightly less than bullet diameter and wrpped it from the base up. The Ballet lube is sticky enough to hold it in place. Nobody at my muzzleloading has ever heard of this. I know it seems to be a bizarre method, but it does work.

Has anyone on the forum heard of doing this?

Good to hear from you.

Jim

I paper patched a Lee Mini, and got very good accuracy out of my 1 in 48" Deerstalker. The recoil was more than my old arthritic shoulder wanted, so I went back to RB's.

here is a website that is all about paper patched bullets for ml's just go to gogle and type in
paper patching for muzzleloaders
it should be the first site on the page.

I had some .44 magmum hollow point bullets from a Lee mould that I paperpatched for my .45 TC Senneca. They shot fairly well considering I was just tinkering with them. I moulded them out of pure lead.

BRPC and Big John: I agree with Big John, but I will also advise you that you will probably gain both velocity and uniformity of velocity, which makes for smaller groups, and a higher amount of recoil. With the wads over the powder, you should be able to back that 100 gr load down to 80, or even 70 grains, and save your shoulder, while getting better accuracy. Borrow a chronograph and check it out. The wads do seal the bore, increase velocity, and give uniformity( Standard Deviation of Velocity in modern technospeak) of velocity for smaller groups.

Back