• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Adding brass endcap to Woodsrunner patchbox.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone done this? I've seen the instructions for the Colonial but the Woodsrunner patchbox is more concave. The brass sheet that comes with the kit won't bend enough to fit.

Should I get thinner sheet stock?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Shape it on a lead block with a polished ball peen hammer. Use gently blows and work slowly. When I did my woodsrunner I did notice the shape was a compound curve. I wanted mine to match the butplate exactly so I spent time making it perfect. I used a little thicker material than provided. I had a piece of brass from K&S handy. The extra length makes it easier to hold on to when working it. You can file to match the butplate, up to a point.

Has anyone done this? I've seen the instructions for the Colonial but the Woodsrunner patchbox is more concave. The brass sheet that comes with the kit won't bend enough to fit.

Should I get thinner sheet stock?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
Of course it will bend enough. Do you think I would provide something that wouldn't work?

You can anneal if you want, but it's not necessary.

Just a gripe... So often I hear that this or that won't work with a kit. Let me say that most of the time it's just someone who doesn't understand how to go about a task or doesn't have experience, confidence etc. We certainly make mistakes, but so often it's just a lack of understanding or skill on the part of the builder. I encourage people to ask questions, rather than make declarations. Especially if you are new.

Not trying to give the original poster a hard time, but just ranting I guess.

I’ve done 2 with the brass Jim supplied. Did the same as @Scota@4570. The process is a little tedious but very doable, just take your time, especially when you start filing and shaping.

Attachments

• IMG_2526.jpeg
    IMG_2526.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
I put a piece of 1/16” brass in a vise with a 1” dowel and formed it with a hammer - just took a few minutes to match the Woodsrunner lid profile. Still need to final fit and polish it…

IMG_1786.jpegIMG_1788.jpeg

You can anneal if you want, but it's not necessary.

Just a gripe... So often I hear that this or that won't work with a kit. Let me say that most of the time it's just someone who doesn't understand how to go about a task or doesn't have experience, confidence etc. We certainly make mistakes, but so often it's just a lack of understanding or skill on the part of the builder. I encourage people to ask questions, rather than make declarations. Especially if you are new.

Not trying to give the original poster a hard time, but just ranting I guess.
Jim-Ive built five of your guns and have a sixth on order with Bree. Each one I've tried to increase my skill and ability from basically nothing to carving to using aqua fortis and different barrel finishes. Each one has turned out nicer than the last.

I want to learn how to put the brass cap on end of patchbox but when I looked at it I was thinking no way to bend this sucker. I'm learning and not criticizing. Actually I'm one of your biggest fans! Love what you've done.

Back