• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My first flintlock - Kibler WoodsRunner kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First kit? They are a ton of fun. I picked up some tried and true and my local woodcraft store, if you have one near you that’s a great place to get stuff.

just remember to take your time with it. I got over excited and ended taking 10x longer fixing my first mistakes that could have been easily avoided.

Would love to see progress pics as you go.

I second watching the vids. Also pay attention when he talks about constantly improving the kits. There are many things in the earlier builds that they have eliminated or improved and following the video without paying attention to what's in front of you can be problematic.
Also watching the non-build vids is a good idea. Several of those have update segments in them.

I needed a drill to enlarge the barrel pin holes on mine. The holes in the stock were pilot holes.

I didn’t need a chisel nor blade of any sort at all to assemble my Woodsrunner. I did do a bit of amateur carving which did involve chisels etc.

Filing took more time than any other part of the assembly.

Enjoy!

I pick up tools and such from Track of the Wolf - mainspring vise, jags, etc.

Various Bahco files from Kibler and Amazon.

Dovetail file from Brownells (two safe sides, one fine).

Tried & True varnish oil from Amazon.

Iron Nitrate from Kibler.

Tannic acid powder from Amazon.

Jax brown from Kibler (used on the brass).

Oxpho blue from Brownells (used in the steel).

Bulk scotchbright pads from Amazon.

Rolls of adhesive-backed 120, 220, and 320 from Amazon.

Rubber sanding blocks of various shapes from Amazon (a variety of shapes in a package for around $10).

Sanding stick things from Amazon (set of plastic pencil like contraptions that use thin sanding belts for getting into tight spots).

I’ll echo the recommendations to watch Jim’s YouTube videos. Then watch them again. Also listen. He slips in a lot of good tips that might be mistaken as an off comment or random jibber jabber.

Don’t just watch the Woodsrunner videos. He hits on various things in his Colonial and SMR videos that he skips in the Woodrunner series, and he’s got several more focused videos (sanding, finishing, etc). I followed them all pretty closely and ended up with something I’m very happy with.

Just ordered the WoodsRunner kit.
Extra Fancy Maple
.54 Caliber
Carved

Looking to buy
Ultimate Spring Vise
Tried and True Varnish

I have files and sandpaper in my shop.

Suggestions are appreciated!
Excellent choice and an excellent caliber. You’ve received good advice. Just take your time and enjoy the process when your kit arrives.

As others have said, the tools needed to assemble the rifle are pretty minimal. If you want to add any carving or reshape anything, that will require some more tools.

This Woodsrunner was the second rifle I've ever built/assembled. I decided to try my hand at some carving. I had never carved anything before, but sometimes the best way to learn is to dive in!
IMG-20231109-WA0008.jpg

At the end of the day, if you take your time and use all the guidance available to you, you should end up with a rifle you can be proud of, feels good, and shoots well!

As a side note, when applying the iron nitrate and/tannic acid, work with what the wood gives you. I'm of the opinion that with the first coat and heating, the wood shows you hints of what it has to give. The second coat and heating shows it's full potential. Then a third coat and heating can be used as an adjustment layer if needed. Neither of the rifles I did showed the depth and richness I wanted after one coat of iron nitrate and one heating.

Something I don't think has been mentioned. Stuff happens. I you do make a mistake, all but the most egregious can be fixed. It's okay to take a deep breath, set the tools down and walk away for a bit.
I'm working on an SMR right now that's proof even the Kibler kits aren't all perfect. Taking me a=lot more time than I thought it would and every time I turn around there's something else. And I went in knowing the SMR kits take the most work of the Kibler kits.
Worked on it yesterday after several days and when I flicked the light on over the bench a chunk of the toe had popped off the butt. Must have bumped it I guess and the humidity from the rain we've had moved the wood enough to pop if off? Pondered it for a minute. Suppose it's as good a time as any to make my own toe plate and inlet what should be the "easiest" piece to do on a rifle.

Wow. Lots of dough spent on new tools & materials if all done at once. Now you're going to have to plan to use all that up by building many more rifles!! 😄
I built an unmentionable (AR-10) a couple of years ago. Spent some 1800 on parts for the build and another 600 or so on special tools followed by another 800 for the scope. But it I've rung steel with it at 1400 yards.

The difference between a man and a boy is the price of the toy!

Back