• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PATCH THICKNESS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For thick patching, I like to use 10 oz denim from the fabric store or from worn out jeans. Makes a tough patch that will hold up under any load.

Have you tried more powder with with your current powder, ball and patch combination? I would do that before changing anything else. You may be pleasantly surprised. If there is a drop off in accuracy, then I would try changes, but don't do it willy nilly. Change one thing at a time. Maybe start with using 3f powder instead of 2f and work up the best load with that. Then change something else. BTW, I also recommend getting Dutch's system.
THanks KJ. Makes sense.

At 25 yards would expect 5 consecutive shots to be touching. At 50 yards, a one inch group. Ball size and consistency, patch material and thickness, powder charge and other variables impact accuracy. You may want to look at Dutch’s accuracy system. Here is a link Black powder rifle accuracy system - or PM Dutch @Dr5x on this forum.
SOUNDS ABOUT RIGHT TO ME.
Many ales in Sept member but just a few in October.

Dutch Schoultz

No one has mentioned your sights. If you have a big fat front sight that covers the entire target that limits your precision. Your rifle is only as accurate as your sights allow.

Back