• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PATCH THICKNESS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all. I've been using an .018 pillow ticking patch lubed with mink oil in my .45 T/C Seneca with 50 grains GOEX FFg. At 25 yards and 50 yards, my shots are within a 2" bull. I am looking to increase my accuracy and knock down power out to 60 or 65 yards by increasing my powder charge and trying a thicker patch. I heard that Seneca's like a little thicker patch? Does anyone have any suggestions as to what a thicker patch size would be for that gun? Thanks. Flashpoint!

At 25 yards and 50 yards, my shots are within a 2" bull.
At 25 yards would expect 5 consecutive shots to be touching. At 50 yards, a one inch group. Ball size and consistency, patch material and thickness, powder charge and other variables impact accuracy. You may want to look at Dutch’s accuracy system. Here is a link Black powder rifle accuracy system - or PM Dutch @Dr5x on this forum.

At 25 yards would expect 5 consecutive shots to be touching. At 50 yards, a one inch group. Ball size and consistency, patch material and thickness, powder charge and other variables impact accuracy. You may want to look at Dutch’s accuracy system. Here is a link Black powder rifle accuracy system - or PM Dutch @Dr5x on this forum.
Thanks SDS, I will do just that.

FFFg all the way in my .45 I had. Used a .440 th and heavy pillowticking. It had a T/C barrel. Shot 60 grains lights out!

Even your powder can make a difference. I only ever used Goex but recently tried Swiss and Old Ensyford 3f powder.
My 45 cal. Traditions deerhunter seems to like 60 grains of the Old Ensyford 3f. 440 ball and a .010 thick cotton patch.

for 65+ years I have only used a 0.10 th's, thick patch on all of my patched RB'S. I match the ball diameter with the patch thickness.

Most TC barrels have shallow rifling and therefore shoot best with a close fitting ball and a thinner patch than cut rifle barrels.
Amen, Bro. Look to a thinner (e.g. .015") patch and possibly larger ball. If you are using a .440" ball try .445". That "I heard" information source is always questionable. The notion that a Seneca is a different critter than other TC rifles is also highly questionable. Manufacturers don't like to screw around with different methods of making things. Meaning, the bore will likely be made exactly in the same way as a 'hawken' bore.

Haven't seen one in years, but the Senecas I saw had deeper rifling than the rest of the rifles. Maybe it was the .36s I saw.

Amen, Bro. Look to a thinner (e.g. .015") patch and possibly larger ball. If you are using a .440" ball try .445". That "I heard" information source is always questionable. The notion that a Seneca is a different critter than other TC rifles is also highly questionable. Manufacturers don't like to screw around with different methods of making things. Meaning, the bore will likely be made exactly in the same way as a 'hawken' bore.
Thanks Rifleman. So a .445 is a larger ball but by going to a thinner patch such as the .015 you suggest, the patch and ball will be more snug in the barrel and could increase my accuracy. Am I correct on this?

Have you tried more powder with with your current powder, ball and patch combination? I would do that before changing anything else. You may be pleasantly surprised. If there is a drop off in accuracy, then I would try changes, but don't do it willy nilly. Change one thing at a time. Maybe start with using 3f powder instead of 2f and work up the best load with that. Then change something else. BTW, I also recommend getting Dutch's system.

Thanks Firestick. What thickness is the heavy pillow ticking patch you use?
Have no idea. Just tried different ones until I found a heavy one it liked. It may have actually been mattress ticking. I do know it was hevier than whats on pillows that use real ticking. Same blue stripes but just a lot heavier.

I like mattress ticking and use it second only to canvas for patches. I also use 3F in everything from .32 to .62 with only a few exceptions. In general, tighter loads shoot better than looser ones but not necessarily always. Pillow ticking is normally around .014" to .016" while mattress ticking runs .017" to .019" but can vary widely.

Back