• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch lubes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimmyP

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Wow, what an array of recipe's regarding patch lube. I've used T/C's prelubed patch's exclusively, mainly because I didn't know any better. After doing some research on this most fantastic site I've discovered some more alternitives. Beeswax. Hmmmm, interesting. "Heres one for you, before I try it". I've got a can of "Sno-seal" boot dressing. The label reads "Beeswax with natural ingredients". Have any of you tried this as a lube? Thanks.

Sure, and folks have also used Mink Oil.

I went to home made patch lube because I was cheap while still being safe. I could make it for pennies instead of buying Bore Butter, NatLube, or Wonder Lube. Add a tiny bit of food grade wintergreen, and voila, the same stuff. In my case it was also non-toxic, and my son when very young was known as "danger boy". So I had to eliminate toxic stuff from my shop as he was very agile and smart at a young age, and loved to taste test items he discovered. (This is also why I use mustard to patina steel these days instead of chemicals)

LD

As you have found, there is no end to the mixes and messes that can be made up for patch lube. I have tried many. Worst in the lot I have tried are chicken fat and Crisco. Popular are some of the various Moose Milk receipes. I suggest you look those up and try. Currently I am using a Beeswax/Whale Oil lube. Very good but my whale oil supply is limited. So, I have a back up batch of Beeswax/peanut oil made up that seems to perform just as well for me.
Be warned, you may get more replies than you have time to read. :wink:

I too, am from the "Frugal" mold. I have used crisco since I started muzzleloading in the '70s. A couple years ago I started adding beeswax to firm it up some, works great. My biggest issue with plain crisco was that it seems to get everywhere, especially when it is warm outside. The beeswax solved the spread factor. I also changed from pre lubing my ticking strips to lubing as I go (at least at the range). That eliminates handling greasy stripping. I pour my lube into empty cap tins, which is the perfect size for my .50 cal. Rub one side of the ticking into the lube, that leaves one side unlubed to grip the ball better (sounds like a good theory anyway). It does not take much beeswax, my guess is about 8:1, crisco:beeswax. I got enough beeswax out of a jar of local honey/comb that I bought. I made up a 10 oz. container last year and I have about 1/4 left now. I just found a 3 oz. tin of Burt's Bees hand salve in the back of my bathroom closet. Think I'll add that to it and see how it goes (I finally ran out of my 3 year old tub of crisco) :wink:

me I used crisco wich is messy on hot days! olive oil, works great but spendy. and corn oil. cheap and works. now I mix the corn oil and beeswax. I make it like a paste or thick cream. realy works good and it's cheap!!! what I do is heat it up on low heat on the cook stove tell it melts. in the mean time I cut my pillow ticking patches to size. then dip them in the melted lube. I like to let them air dry over night on wax paper. next day I put them in there tins for when shooting.

Go ahead an laugh guys. :rotf: But all I use these days is Liquid Wrench.

Check out these old threads flinthunter.
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/...18/post/993871/hl/liquid+wrench/fromsearch/1/

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/...2/post/1002231/hl/liquid+wrench/fromsearch/1/

LiquidWrenchPatchLube-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Semisane said:

I ain't laffin',,,I tried it, it works ok. I also tried some Mobil 1 synthetic grease,,cleaned right up, no problem.
Only problem with the liquid wrench, it seemed to migrate into the powder a little.

Yes we know about it. What I would like to know are those groups shot with the sinful sisters(his scoped BP rifles) or with the ones with iron sights?

Well armakiller, the groups in the first link I provided were shot with one of the Sinful Sisters. The groups in the second link were shot with a peep sighted TC Hawken with a Green Mountain barrel.

And the Liquid Wrench patched groups in the link below were shot with a peep sighted Great Plains flintlock.
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/266843/

And the Liquid Wrench patched groups in this link were shot with a peep sighted .32 Pedersoli Frontier flintlock. http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/...59803/post/1025345/hl/pedersoli/fromsearch/1/

All I can say is, for me, Liquid Wrench works better than any other patch lube I've tried. And I've tried a lot.

This is what I use, its very inexpensive, proven performer, either of the three works great.

I use it as a wet lube, put my patches in a tin and add the lube till they wont take any more and pour the excess back into the jug.

You don't have to shake it up, it never seperates.

olthunder.gif

bluethunder.jpg

threeriverssolvent.jpg

Can shoot all day and not swab, would probably not do so well as a hunting lube but is excellent as a trailwalk, target lube.

Came in second in nation wide tests done by the NMLRA/Muzzle Blast in the 70s or early 80s.

Good enough for me.

flinthunter...First off, welcome to the site!!! :hatsoff:

I started in the mid 70s and until just a few years ago, I used SnoSeal, worked just fine...

I then found this site and started using Stumpy's Lube mix, works as well and is a little thicker, which can be tailor made to the season...

Have fun...

That looks just like the stuff I used to make and
sell back in the 70's. I still do make it and use
it. I called mine "Blue Magic" I put it in the
same bottle as Old Thumper.

Lord have mercy, you have opened a Pandora's Box when you ask what to use as a patch lube. Believe me, people have used everything you can imagine and many you can't imagine to lube patches. Personally, I like straight Ballistol on my patches but the most exotic thing I ever used was some seal oil. A friend was in Alaska and got a couple ounces from one of the Eskamos. They render out seal blubber and use the oil for several purposes, one of which is in their food. Many women keep a container on the stove and use it like we would use vegetable oil in our cooking. He knew I liked to try different things for patch lube so he brought a small bottle to me. It worked, but no big deal. Many people swear by plain old spit. It works and it's cheap. Between shots, they will keep a patch in their mouth for the next shot. As they remove one patch, they replace it with a dry patch in their mouth. I've tried it and it works but occasionally you have to hack up a loose thread. I'd say that you can use almost anything you can think of as long as it is not a petroleum product. Most petroleum products will increase the fouling in your barrel.

My friend, Joe, uses lemon juice to put a patina on steel. I guess any mild acid will do the trick.

I forget who gave me this hint on making patch and bullet lube but I'll share it with you in case you would like to give it a try. When he gets the beex wax melted and adds the oil, he stirs it well until it is well mixed and then he adds a small amount of Murphy's Oil Soap (anywhere from a teaspoon to a tablespoon depending on how much lube you are making). Then he whips it as it cools until it forms a nice smooth paste. Whoever it was who told me this said that the soap helps make a nice smooth paste and helps keep the bore clean as you shoot. It's worth a try.

Yup,

I have the ability to make mine as well, changed the looks a bit but its still the same recipe.

:wink:

I also tried some Mobil 1 synthetic grease,,cleaned right up, no problem

I've thought about trying Mobil One myself. I use it in in anything that has a motor.

Latest posts

Back