• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It could be used in a pinch, you're going to clean your barrel anyway. But back in the day that bacon grease was prized for culinary use and woe be to the poor fellow who tried to steal a little from his wife for shootin'. If you didn't have some tallow then spit was a good option.

Ghettogun said:
It could be used in a pinch, you're going to clean your barrel anyway. But back in the day that bacon grease was prized for culinary use and woe be to the poor fellow who tried to steal a little from his wife for shootin'. If you didn't have some tallow then spit was a good option.

What do you mean "back in the day"? Are you insinuating I am an old fart? :rotf: In my house, its STILL prized for cooking, and for culinary use too!

Over on this side of the pond we have to pay our cardiologist, and eat turkey bacon. :barf:

Capper said:
flintlock62 said:
Capper said:
Best lube you can get for less than 6 bucks. No cooking needed.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Cate...&subId=25&styleId=67&partNum=MINK-OIL[/quote]

Either that, or Old Zip from Dixie.

Never tried it, but I hear good things about it. What's in it?

Beeswax and mutton tallow. To be honest, its been a while since I've used TOW's Mink oil, but do not remember a whole lot of difference from the Old Zip. Either are excellent lubes, with the Old Zip being a little cheaper. Maybe I prefer Old Zip because Dixie is close enough that I visit the store occasionally. I never walk out without buying something. I still miss Turner Kirkland!

Last edited by a moderator:
So, Old Zip being a tallow. It should be good in the cold? Unless bees wax hardens up?

Our hunting season can get pretty cold. Mink Oil always stays soft for me.

Capper said:
So, Old Zip being a tallow. It should be good in the cold? Unless bees wax hardens up?

Our hunting season can get pretty cold. Mink Oil always stays soft for me.

Actually, I would like to perform a feezer test between the two. I know Old Zip is good for cold weather, but I also know Mink oil is too. I will have to get some moe mink oil from TOW. But like I said, I visit Dixie in person, so I am more apt to buy from them than on line.

much to my detriment gentlemen i dont have as many options in the UK in comparison to you folks on the other side of the puddle

Dickert54cal said:
How about virgin olive oil and melted bees wax?
It works but there is no reason to pay extra money for the 'virgin' part.
Your gun will shoot a promiscuous olives oil just as well as a virgin olives oil. :rotf:

The reason there are so many different “lubes” is, they all work. Folks just seem to find favorites. I got tired of trying all the different recipes because they all work. Maybe some are a little more messy than others or don't smell as 'good'. Plus you don't want to step on somebodies favorite either.

Back