• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Paper nitrating question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ernbar

45 Cal.
Reaction score
A friend asked if the Spectricide stump remover is safe to handle without gloves when dry on the paper. I wear gloves when dipping the coffee filters in the solution and when completely dry and during cutting/gluing the paper for the envelopes.

Coffee filter paper is too heavy. Cig papers are plenty stout enough. I’ve made and shot a thousand paper carts and they all ignited. Never nitrated, not even once, it’s completely unnecessary.

I used un-nitrated coffee filters (.001") for the 1863 Sharps I had. Instant ignition, they burned up completely, and the coffee filter was much stronger than a rolling paper, IMO.

MSDS on Spectracide stump granules say it's 100% potassium nitrate. Gloves not necessary, wash hands after handling.

Last edited:
Just as a general rule, you should wear gloves when handling chemicals like that, but I don't think potassium nitrate has any immediate skin contact effects. If you're making some kind of powder or pyrotechnic, I would be more worried about cross-contamination from residue on your hands then I would be from injury from the nitrate.

You can always check the MSDS when in doubt.

G dog

I have tried curling and cig paper and both work but don’t completely burn off. Nitrated coffee filter paper works better for me burning off completely leaving no unburned paper after firing.

Bigfoot and felonious

Thanks for your responses.

I keep a box or two of surgical gloves handy for painting, caulking, gluing, weedkilling, etc. to keep that "yukky" stuff off the hands. I would not consider soaking my hands in the stuff but I don't think Spectricide Stump killer is harmful.Nitrating hasn't yet called for the use of gloves. A good hand washing and you should be fine.

I use the perm curling paper and I nitrate those. Just dip in the solution and lay on a sheet of foil or hang on something. No need for gloves unless you have cuts, even tiny unnoticeable ones! It will light you up like a firecracker!
I use them not nitrated and they work great. I like using them on .36 loads and nitrated coffee filter paper for the .44 loads specially Dragoon cartridges.

I use the perm curling paper and I nitrate those. Just dip in the solution and lay on a sheet of foil or hang on something. No need for gloves unless you have cuts, even tiny unnoticeable ones! It will light you up like a firecracker!
Have you compared the difference, untreated vs. treated? I've had good luck with untreated but there's residuals left sometimes. If it makes a difference, I'll add the step

Coffee filter paper is too heavy. Cig papers are plenty stout enough. I’ve made and shot a thousand paper carts and they all ignited. Never nitrated, not even once, it’s completely unnecessary.
If you use cig papers made from rice paper, such as the "Elements" brand. Not all cig papers are the same. Some are even made to burn slower - such as those made from hemp, and they aren't suitable for making paper cartridges.

I've found that nitrated rolling papers work best. Strong enough yet leave the least residue.

Last edited:
Have you compared the difference, untreated vs. treated? I've had good luck with untreated but there's residuals left sometimes. If it makes a difference, I'll add the step
I also have small unburned pieces of un nitrated curling paper left over but not enough to interfere with the operation. The nitrated coffee filters burn 99% leaving just ashes.

In my experience, fabrication technique has as much to do with residue as does paper type and nitrating. I've found that the technique of fabricating and gluing a cartridge "base" from a punched-out circle often leads to that circle remaining in the chamber after the rest of the cartridge blows out, on the order of about one out of every six shots.

I haven’t compared them. I just nitrate because it’s easy to do. I just nitrate the day before I make any cartridges. I just dip them in the pan and hang them or lay them flat and let them dry.

I also have small unburned pieces of un nitrated curling paper left over but not enough to interfere with the operation. The nitrated coffee filters burn 99% leaving just ashes.
I tried making them like the outlaw kid, curling papers on a pin gauge as a mandrel. They’re straight sided obviously and they burn completely.

I haven’t compared them. I just nitrate because it’s easy to do. I just nitrate the day before I make any cartridges. I just dip them in the pan and hang them or lay them flat and let them dry.
Thanks for the reply. I usually tinker with black powder during the winter months, maybe I'll try it both ways.

Back