• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pair of .58s

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had a pleasant day a couple days ago and got my .58s Zeroed.
There's nothing better than shooting these a few hours. The top is a Renegade with a GMB 1:70 twist
The bottom is a basket case I built with a GMB it also is 1:70 twist
Thanks to derhunter for the Renegade.
1709765724750.jpeg

When I could still heft a Springfield r/musket around , loved to shoot .69 , and .58 's. Tried to use a .58 cal. repro Harpers Ferry flint rifle w/ peep sight , custom Lee Minnie ball w/ maximum powder charge , for Pa. late season flint deer season. Rifle would give 3.5 inch group off rest at 125 meters. The kicker was the mid trajectory , had a 10 " rainbow in it , causing a dumb guy like me to have to do too much point of impact estimation , to get hits on deer size kill zone at useful ranges at say 50 to 125 yds.. I went to a PRB .50 long rifle , and that gave me a useful , flat trajectory. It was like comparing apples and oranges , but I wanted to kill at all ranges w/o doing point of impact computations , while trying to just get a killing hit. I still love shooting big Minnie ball rifles off a bench. Can't hunt w/them any longer. Think it's the whistling sound heard between the muzzle and the target. Minnie balls make a much amplified smack when say a deer is struck. It's bang , HISSSSSSS , then SMACK!!!! Unforgettable experience to kill a deer w/one.

Latest posts

Back