• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PA M/L Season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
did not head out the first sat because of rain and was called a sissy. I have been out several more times since windy and cold nothing yet

Went out yesterday afternoon, man was it cold. Shot a button buck at about 30 yards. Snuck up on him, and did'nt find out it was a buck until I walked up to him. Used a t.c. renegade 58 caliber 100 grs. of 2F and a roundball.

Very nice FS.
I got out in 5B with a couple friends on Saturday in the wind and cold. We did not sit long and started doing some little drives in the insanely thick brush & briars. The deer did not want to move but we got a few up. A friend wounded one we trailed a few hundred yards and jumped a couple times, so we left it for a couple hours to lay up and hopefully die. When we came back we were all confident that we'd find her dead--two of the guys did not even carry their guns, but I brought my .54 Transitional, just in case. While they went in to the blood trail I headed up and over about 100 yards in the direction the deer had been going thinking I would cut her off and get a shot if she jumped again. I am glad I did that 'cause she did jump again and came through the multiflora rose low and fast. I lucked out and pounded her in the neck at all of about 7 yards! I don't usually take running shots, but with her already wounded, I had to try. Pretty exciting and we were all glad to end her suffering and not lose her.

I'll hunt some more a couple evenings this week and the last Saturday.
Good luck & be safe.
IMGP0465.jpg

Great work. I'm happy you were able to find her and bring her home. I'm sure you and your hunting partners are relieved also. She's a fine deer and will make for some tasty meals. Also your rifle looks like it is a beauty from what I can see of it. I hope to get out next Saturday also. I wish you good hunting for the remainder of the season........Fuzzy Sites

cgg ,glad to see you recovered her ...running at 7 yards!...your good to go for rabbit now... :hatsoff:

I got out for a bit last night. Wow, was it ever windy!! Sat for about an hour and then it got dark. I have not seen deer on this farm all year. I see lots of prints but no deer. Last night I did see 4 deer as I was driving out. They crossed the driveway about 100 yds ahead of me and were standing out in a field. Nice to know there are deer there. Plan to get out Thrus, Fri and Sat evening yet.

I was out last night and tonight. Last night I did not see a thing. Tonight I saw two fox and a great sunset, also heard some owls. I have seen so many fox this year. Next year I plan on having a furtaker license.

Going out in the am. Going to be brutal. Something about the snowy woods I can't resist.

I got out most evenings this week hunting in York Co. (5B) and saw deer but could not get a shot until Friday evening. Killed a doe at 40 yds. with my .54 and PRB. It is fun to hunt historic York Co., PA with a flintlock, even if my rifle is a Berks co. Transitional :redface:

I was the "designated driver" today and we moved some deer around but my friend couldn't get a shot.

Now the season is over and I got nothin' going on except work for the next couple months.... :(

I still have two weeks in 2b. The season runs longer in some areas. For those who are close enough to one of the WMU's that is included, take a little trip maybe?
DEER, ANTLERED OR ANTLERLESS FLINTLOCK (WMUs 2B, 5C, 5D): Dec. 26-Jan. 23. One antlered per hunting license year, or one antlerless deer and an additional antlerless deer with each required antlerless license.

I managed to hunt four days in 3D, saw one tail going over a ridge after I pushed around a swamp, that was the day the water bottle under my coat froze by 10am...found a few more deer exclusion fences too, the PA DCNR is fencing up alot of the Delaware State Forest & while I saw deer tracks, it wasn't alot. :surrender:

Had a great PA season this year, moved to Alaska 4 years ago, but still get back to PA for Flintlock season. I only had one tag this year, filled it in my first two hours hunting. Wish I bought the second tag, last year I had two tags and never got a shot at a deer, even though I hunted hard all day, every day. So... I was the dog for my dad, brother, and two friends the rest of the season. My brother got his first flintlock deer this year and my friend got his first with a flinter as well. Plus, we got a deer with the Ford on the way to the mountain the second Saturday of the season. Put a fair amount of meat in the freezer !

Here in the Alleghney National Forest the hunting is great!.Seeing any game is a completely different story. The "Yotes", and bobcats have taken care of the deer herd . They are now a hi-breed yote that have cross breed with the wolf. I have caught 6 yotes trapping this season 4 of those were hi-breeds.
I unlike most don't wait until flintlock/traditional season opens.I hunt regular season with a flintlock. :wink:

Latest posts

Back