• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ox-Yoke wonder wads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jumpshot

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I saw a pack of these in a local gun shop, the package says .31 caliber. I figured that means they're intended to be used in a .32 caliber gun, so I thought I'd try them in my CVA .32 rifle. I tried one and it seemed too big. I could get it down the bore but I had to scrunch it a bit. I checked the diameter on a few of them with my caliper and they average .375-.378".

I checked online but I couldn't find anything that says the actual diameter, just ".31 caliber." Are they supposed to be oversized that much? Or did I get a batch that were labeled wrong? The shop didn't have them in any other calibers so I couldn't compare two different sizes.

The Colt and Remington .31 cal Cap & Ball revolvers use .321 diameter balls for a press fit into their cylinders.

I suspect you have a box of them and cramming them down the .320 diameter bore with a patch wrapped around them is going to be a real challenge. :shocked2:

If they average .378 I am guessing they are mislabeled 36 caliber revolver wads

Well, I'm not sure where the round ball thing came from. I was asking about felt wads. :idunno:

bpd303 said:
I would say those wads are for the Colt .31 caliber percussion revolver.
They're not specific to a certain gun. The package says they're for revolvers, patched ball guns, conical bullet guns, and cartridge guns.

They fit fine in the bore of my .36 T/C Hawken. Large enough to be a snug fit but not so oversized that it's hard to get 'em in there.

My mistake. :redface:

That's what I get for staying up late and not reading the entire post before putting my brain in gear. :(

I found another pack of felt wads I had forgotten about, I bought it a few months ago from another gun shop (The Gun Works, up in Springfield). They're marked as .36 caliber. I don't know if they're the same brand (Ox-Yoke), but they look the same. A manufacturer label wasn't on it, they were in a ziplock back and a handwritten label stuck on it when I bought them.

But I checked their diameter with my caliper and it's the same as those ".31" wads. So I guess the .31 wads were labeled wrong after all. I'll let them know next time I'm in that gun shop.

Yep--you got .36 caliber wads.

They do make .31 caliber--I've seen them at Dixon's--and they will fit your .32 rifle.

This time of year I schmere a little more wonder-lube onto my wads to keep the fouling soft.

Good luck and continued success!

Dave

Latest posts

Back