• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

over powder card wads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunbug

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi Does anyone here use card wads over the powder when using wet patches for target shooting? Thanks for you ideas. Dan

I use dry lubed patches cut at the muzzle because that is how I get the best accuracy. IMHO, in consistant wet patches contribute to fliers. I could not control slightly wet, wet and wetter so I use Dutch's patch lube recommendations.
YMMV. A card wad probably can't hurt.

It really depends on the bottom of the bullet I think. I have always use a over powder wool wad. Recently a friend and I both shot the same bullet I got a horrible group and his was awesome. The the bullet was a Hollow base Paper Patch bullet. The major difference between our load was his was an over powder veggy card wad and mine was a wool wad.
I tried a veggy with my RCBS flat base bullet and it didn't like them. I tested my go to wool wad and it was better.
I think it just depends on a lot of things. Having some of each to test is a good plan.

Rusty Gun,
Wet is a word we want to avoid of any excess fluid gets into the breech, it will affect the next powder charge which will give you varying amounts of explosions which is the same effect as using differing amounts of powder for each shot.
The card won't hurt as it might cover deficiencies in your patch thickness
Only use a damp wiping patch, no followup dry patch necessary.

If the card seems required, try a slightly thicker shooting patch

Dutch

I agree with Dutch. :metoo: But, hell, I always agree with Dutch, the man knows whereof he speaks. However, I do vary a bit from how Dutch swabs between shots. Like Dutch, my swabbing patches are only moist but I use both sides of the swabbing patch and follow with a dry patch. That's just me, and it works for me. There's more than one way to skin a cat. I know Dutch would say that if it works, keep doing it. I am not saying that is the way you should do it, wisdom says to follow Dutch, not me.

As for using over powder wads, they work fine for flat bottom bullets or patched round balls and usually result in improved accuracy but never use them for hollow based bullets. As you probably know, the purpose for the hollow base is so that when the gun is fired the expanding hot gasses will cause the hollow base to expand into the rifling. An over powder wad will interfere with this necessary expansion and cause poor accuracy.

I make my own OP wads from Duro Felt using a hollow punch that I got from one of our members who goes by the name of Ohio Ramrod. He will make you a custom punch at an extremely reasonable price. If you have a drill press, be sure to order a drill press adaptor for your punch. To make my wads, I smear a sheet of felt with Bore Butter like buttering a piece of toast. Be sure to get an even coat all over the sheet of felt. Then I put the felt in the microwave for 30 to 45 seconds to melt the Bore Butter into the felt. Once it is cool, I start punching my wads. You don't want too much lube on your wads. Properly done, the wads will not be greasy, just show the presence of lube in the fibers, sort of like an old oily rag.

This is the source for the felt http://www.durofelt.com/image_26.html

This is the source for the punches
[email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried several methods and the one that works for me is a veggie card over powder with a lubed felt wad, then the bullet.

This has improved things with PP hollow base bullets, hollow base grease bullets and flat base grease bullets.

If I wipe the bore, then it is after adding powder and the veggie card. After wiping I add the lube felt and the bullet.

But, keep in mind I am not a great long range shooter. I'm happy with under 2" at 100yd.

I think the OP is referring to round ball shooting and what effect a wet patch would have on the powder. So, he wants to put a wad over the powder to keep the wet patch from contaminating the charge. My little bit of experience is that the patch is not wet enough to do that.

If a over powder card improves your groups it means your shooting patch could be a bit thicker/ The card only compensates for a too thin patch material.

As for the the following your slightly moist wipe with a dry patch. it might also help to bow twice to the east.

Dutch

Agreed Dutch. But if a card allows me to use a thinner patch, thus making loading easier and faster for me...then why not use the card?

All my shooting is done with the thought that I am preparing myself and my rifle for a deer hunt. When I shoot Bambi, I may need a follow up shot. Getting loaded fast is a bonus in these situations.

I have never used a card or wad under a PRB but use one routinely with a lubed conical bullet, mostly to protect the powder charge from the lube that I used to fill in the grooves on the conical.

The wads seem to help accuracy but I never did a qualified test to confirm it.

gunbug said:
Hi Does anyone here use card wads over the powder when using wet patches for target shooting? Thanks for you ideas. Dan

Hi Dan.
Developing round ball loads in a small bore fast twist.
Small charge, card over powder, tight wet patch.
Needing to prevent greasy patches from trying to stick to the ball and needing to prevent wet contamination of the powder.
I'm still searching for the best combo.

Actually the extra thickness in the co shooting patch that would compensate for the need of the card would make the difference in load imperceptible.
The thicknes ofon cigarette paper caused my groups , on average to shrink a little over a quarter inch.

Dutch

I'm not certain of your meaning.
My traveling shrinks daily. My Drivers' licence will be removed next March
Most of my traveling was to Krea by Victory ship
Going to thee Walmart will become an adventure.

Dutch

Dutch Schoultz said:
I'm not certain of your meaning.
My traveling shrinks daily. My Drivers' licence will be removed next March
Most of my traveling was to Krea by Victory ship
Going to thee Walmart will become an adventure.

Dutch

Apparently you don't know the secret handshake. :stir:

Back