• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

over powder card wads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't quick wipe, just one brush stroke down and back and then seat the ball with the loading rod.
I'll need to experiment with this method in all seasons to tell if it is worth keeping.
In cold months here in Alaska it is very dry and the fouling is much like when it is hot and dry only the last thing you want to do is deal with liquid at below zero temperature. The patch lube is bad enough on my poor ole fingers.
This stiff bristle brush I found may be just what the Dr. ordered for dry cleaning between shots.
It worked fine in the June match but the temperature was only in the 60s.

Cynthia Lee,
I remember sending you the printed version some years ago.
A lot of what you describe now does exist in the current version which has 40 or so extra pages with all sorts of extra material of possible interest.
Send me an email at

[email protected]

And I'll bring you up to date which will give you everything you already have plus all the additional material based on my answers to questions asked over the past 30 some years.

Dutch

The wad compensates for the fact that your shooting patch is waaay too thin . .
Burned or scorched shooting patches are telling yu that the godawful flames of the powder explosion are bypassing the patched ball.
I think on my web site there is a letter from Duncan McReady of New Zealand who was able to outshoot riflemen with his smoothbore by getting his patching to fit as precisely as I suggest for rifled barrels..
I heard this also from some smoothie folks in southern Micigan who made the same claims. I have never fired a smoothbore so this is all hearsay but perhaps something to consider.

Dutch

When I switched to a wad, and a tight fitting patch, my accuracy was much improved. I have front and rear sights, and it is a joy to shoot balls as well as shot.

25 yard 3 shot group; benched, is a cloverleaf. :hatsoff:

From what I can glean from your excellent postings is that the only difference between your method and mine is I use a brush dry instead of a damp , quick wipe patch.
I made a separate rod for the brushing to speed up the procedure. The stiff brush keeps the fouling down without wetting and fouling the patent breech in cap guns.
I don't know how it would work with flint guns.
Both rods have a down the bore muzzle protector. Loading rod guide is brass and the brush rod guide is HDPE plastic.
The dry brush, two rod method, would be whoa-fully impractical in the field but works fine at a match venue.

Dutch Schoultz said:
If SDSmlf and Mountainy Manhad my book they wouldn't have to depend on my excessive posting on the Forum.
I think that if all my posts were organized you would see where I have explained my System in great detail
I like to think that by helping folks who are having the same problems I had back in the '7-'s iI may be keeping them engaged in the sport. I also feel the more accurate rifleman will make cleaner kills.
My daughter had some property next a state forest and got to see a lot of deer who had died rather wretched deaths from non-fatal wounds that became infected and caused much misery.
I was about to discontinue because rapidly increasing printing octs as Knew a selling price of 26 or 27 bucks was too much to ask people to pay.

A So I spent $00 bucks getting it digitized which allowed me to keep the old price and add 40 or 50 addiyiomal pages of blather based on my answers to questions asked over the past three decades.

In my experimentation I spent a bunch of mine ( I had an income then) on all the junk offered to make the rifleman's effort less and his accuracy best and found that while they may have been well intended were a real waste of time. If the ord "EASY" is in their promotion I suggest you avoid it and also thee really slick patch lubes which seem to be counterproductive.
I felt that the earlier I could get to a newby the more money he or she would save by not buying all the junk I had wasted my money on.

An earlier attempt to spread the word (mine_ can be found on my web site in the Tips and G&A sections where I tried to do some good at no charge. If I could still read I would check that area to see if there is anything there that is not in the book bus Alas! as theory sy that would be an agonizing effort with magnifying glasses
If SDSmlf and Mountainy Man can't afford the book they might glean some early Dutch wisdom by looking at my web site www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com

Dutch Schoultz

Dutch, I have actually had the honor of owning a number of copies of your 'system'. I do not rely on on your forum responses, I just enjoy reading them. Received first copy when I purchased a used muzzleloader ”“ original system documents were included. Purchased a second copy (3,969th mailing on June 3rd, 2014). In follow up contact you provided an electronic copy. And just as a FYI, in a nutshell summary, your common sense approach 'system' works. And not just with traditional ML. They also apply to modern MLers, SML and suppository guns..... As a daytime job I hold down an engineering manager position. I love to quote or use your principals when problem solving. Please continue to rock on. You are a legend.

Last edited by a moderator:
M.D.
I had not considered the Alaskan winter. Anything to avoid liquid in sub zero temperatures should be a positive move.
I think you have hit on a great end run for very cold weather shooting.
Long before I even thought of my Dry Patch Lube System I had contact with some Canadians about 250 miles North of Detrout who had shoots every weekend, Blizzards permitting, and it never occurred to me to ask how they handled your kind of winter weather.
I attended a Gemmer shoot one January in 7 degree weather and became an expert on how I hated weather that cold.

You are making me think of a combination Jag and brass brush attachment for a ram rod

I do really miss being able to continue shooting

Dutch Schoultz

If you have the digital version there is not much I can add.
I did have a Carolinian subscriber send me an extra 420 because he enjoyed my witing style and a couple people sent me money because they had achieved success using a borrowed copy and felt guilty.
One non subscriber write me that my suggestion of shimming his patches with cigarette paper was so effective he always has a pack of cigarette paper whenever he takes his rifle to the range or hunting.

What amuses me is how many subscribers write with whoops of joy for my help who are not using the central care of the System which involves getting a precise ly measured compressed patch thickness that is RIGHT for their rifel. Most think my System is the quick wipe between shots, others think it's my quick cleaning with minimal water
The people who figured out the compressed patch thickness and the ideal amount of slickness to their lubrication are the happiest.

I guess I might also be a little irritated as would Frank Sinatra who learned he was popular because of hisshoes.

I taught at Secondsry schools in Iowa and WashigtonUniversity here in St. Louis and have learned to keep my writing at the seventh grade level . I was worried that I couldn't put the concept and practice across. It's very simple but very hard to explain. 

But it's all fun and I think the continuing interest is keeping me alive. Whether theta's a good thing I am trying to decide.

Dutch Schoultz Excuse typos and auto correction which coluld screw up a two car funeral

It just occurred to me that I am missing replies to my endless posts because My faulty vision has reduced me to doing a search for all posts with the word "Dutch" in them.
This brings all replies that include that magic name, accusations of having a Club Butt, Ovens by the thousands and occasionally ME..
I accidentally came across a post by M.D. where he apparently has discovered a way to shoot when the temperature is Godawful low.
It's a an entire concept I have avoided because I avoid sub zero weather religiously

On Kool days you don;'t have to worry as much about the heat of too rapid firing causing your barrel to expand with the heat thus throwing off your carefully selected ball patch combination/
My other hot weather thought is that a rifle barrel lying horizontally in the sun will heat up mor rapidly from the sun than if it is propped vertically. Don't know about that one but it seems to be true so I folioed it.

So rememebrn I you are addressing me, the typo king, use the magic letter dutch in it somewhere.

Dutch

I'm not a traveling man but I am a recovering baptist :hmm: :rotf:

Do traveling men use over powder cards or not? Coded talk is OK for a bit :idunno: Most just dont know if you use em? Did using em enlighten you? I have but not regularly.

rdstrain49 said:
Snake, I am a traveling man and have travelled the hot & burning sands to enlightenment.

I, too, am a traveling man and have sought the same enlightment. :thumbsup: My mother is from Indiana and is named Jackson.

Please pardon me here guys, I just want to say hello to an old friend that I just now happened across. Hello Dutch. They say what goes around ,comes around. I became one of your disciples back in 1987. I been shootin ever since . I often thought I 'd like to say thanks for what your help done for my shooting. I'm gettin up there also, maybe with some luck we'll have another go round some day. Thanks again for the help, as they say , you da man.

As I don't recognize you by your forum name I do have a memory of a long time ago sending a copy of the System to Neenah. It would stick in my mind as I believe I had an Uncle living there years ago.

If you want to update your System, email me at [email protected]

The System has grown mightily since 1987.

Dutch

I am currently using a card over powder, then a greased felt wad with a Dutch S dry lubed patch. I have busted lots of steel target with this
English bore rifle, funny term. It is 12 bore (.72) I am using a nominal .71 ball with a thick denim patch and 4 1/2 drams of Fg. The bore is Forsyth type rifling large shallow grooves ver slow twist, say 1 in 100 inches narrow lands. This rifle is designed to use massive powder charges, the slow twist so the ball won't strip.
On another forum they say that wads under patched balls work best with the larger calibers. Back to mine as the bore is not the shiniest at this stage, the greased felt wad allows the last shot to load as easily as the first with the rifles own wooden ramrod. Tomorrow arvo I will bench this combination at 50 yards and see how she groups.

cheers

Back