• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Over powder card size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here is a newbie question. Do you want the card to match the bore, be undersized or oversized by a little bit. Reason I am asking is that I have an odd size bore and card is oversized, at least according to TOW specs. Don't want to open package if they will not work.

thanks

A little oversized is always better than undersized. I've seen some folks who claim loss of gases in a smoothbore doesn't matter much. I, personally, think they're "fool of it." My two guns must be unusually fussy if this is true. I can't remember what the difference is for my .75, but the 16 gauge bore is .662 and the cards are stamped out at .672.

Prior to finding a wadcutter for the 16 and store-bought wads for the Bess, I cut them by hand, and there was a tremendous advantage over these when I got more uniformity. Amazingly, I achieved better accuracy with paper wasp nest and tow than the hand cut wads! :doh:

"Ohioramrod" on this forum made my punch for the 16 ga. Not to be a salesman, but very reasonable and quick turnaround. You might consider measuring the bore and contacting him if what you have is too tight for your liking.

I've always used Circle Fly wads, overpowder, cushion and overshot. My 20 ga. wads of all three types measure .66", and they fit my .62" smooth bores just right.

Spence

Concerning wad sizing, Circle Fly Wads are sized from .010" over bore diameter for 28ga to .018 over for 4ga. Insufficiently oversize and/or insufficiently thick (depends on the material & diameter) wads can produce gas leakage, especially if your bore is less than perfect. FWIW, I've use home-punched wads up to .025" over bore (depending on what punch I had available) in my 16ga without difficulty in loading.

Regards,
Joel

Latest posts

Back