original style combustibles my way

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Enfieldguy, Oct 7, 2018.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Oct 23, 2018 #21

Enfieldguy

Enfieldguy

Enfieldguy

32 Cal.

I found it at Michael's arts and crafts store. But they seem to have stopped carrying in the stores. I was in 3 Michael's over in Tampa last week and nothing. But it's on their web site. I use the Bienfang 13.5" 100% linen paper. It works for both my combustibles and my Pritchett cartridges. The Potassium Nitrate I found online in powdered form. My bullet lube is a 8:1 beeswax/mutton tallow blend straight from a Civil War Ordnance manual.

2. Oct 23, 2018 #22

thomas

thomas

thomas

45 Cal. Supporting Member

Thank you enfieldguy :hatsoff:

3. Oct 23, 2018 #23

Zonie

Zonie

Zonie

Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

For folks who want to buy some potassium nitrate but don't know where to get it, if you have a Ace Hardware, Lowe's, Home Depot or similar stores, look for some Spectracide 16-oz Stump Remover.

It is 100 percent potassium nitrate and costs about $6 per pound.

4. Oct 25, 2018 #24

Flintfan69

Flintfan69

Flintfan69

40 Cal.

Are you refering to "Bienfang Graphics 360 Marker Paper" which is 100% rag paper? This is a cotton product, not flax based.

I can find several places to buy their rag paper online, but can find no reference to a "linen" product.

5. Oct 25, 2018 #25

Juice Jaws

Juice Jaws

Juice Jaws

45 Cal. Supporting Member

Couple of question for you, I took Zonie advice and brought some Spectracide Stump Remover, for the potassium nitrate, Bienfang paper will be here Sat. First can I soak more than one sheet at a time, or do they stick together. And can you reuse the solution? Thanks

6. Oct 31, 2018 #26

Enfieldguy

Enfieldguy

Enfieldguy

32 Cal.

Yes you can reuse the solution. I've never used the Spectracide before, only KNO3 powdered form. Using the powder, I'll add it to a warmed quart of water while stirring. It will dissolve rather quickly. When no more will dissolve and it starts settling on the bottom, it's good to go. I have a photo developing tray that I pour it into to soak the paper. I'll let it soak for 8-9 hours. I then carefully remove the paper and allow it to air dry on a flat surface on an old cotton beach towel. The left-over solution then is poured back in it's original bottle with the cap screwed on tight. I make up a quart at a time and store it in a 1-liter plastic Pepsi bottle. It's not necessary to wear gloves, but if you have an open cut it will let you know. It also tastes terrible.

7. Oct 31, 2018 #27

Enfieldguy

Enfieldguy

Enfieldguy

32 Cal.

Yes it is the Bienfang Graphics 360. And it is 100% cotton. The 'linen' is a misnomer on my part. I also use it for the outer wrapper on my Pritchett cartridges. Chosen for the latter because of it's .0025" thickness and it's resistance to the beeswax soaking through when the cartridge is lubricated. When dip-lubing the combustible's, if I go slightly past the junction of the paper and lead it won't let the beeswax/tallow mix bleed through to contaminate the powder.

8. Oct 31, 2018 #28

Flintfan69

Flintfan69

Flintfan69

40 Cal.

Ok, good. Thank you for clearing it up. Just wanted to make sure I was going to buy the right one.

9. Nov 8, 2018 #29

bigted

bigted

bigted

40 Cal.

So i have some 9 pound onionskin paper that i roll patched bullets with. This may be just the shis ness for soaking and rolling these cartridges.

Yes ... no?

Enfieldguy likes this.
  10. Nov 8, 2018 #30

Enfieldguy

Enfieldguy

Enfieldguy

32 Cal.

Give it a try. I saw a 9lb onionskin at the store but haven't tried it yet. Let us know how it does.

11. Nov 8, 2018 #31

hawkeye2

hawkeye2

hawkeye2

58 Cal.

I found 10 lbs. at Walmart online for about $30, free shipping.

Enfieldguy likes this.
  12. Nov 9, 2018 #32

Enfieldguy

Enfieldguy

Enfieldguy

32 Cal.

That's not bad for 10 pounds. That much will go a LONG way. IIRC, I paid $8 for 3 pounds online. The stuff I got is rated 'food-grade' and is in powdered form.