• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Original Hawken question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This rifle has not been forged with a stamp. It is 100% original without forgery.

This rifle has not been forged with a stamp. It is 100% original without forgery.
Not sure exactly what you mean, but without identifying stamps or engravings, or some other unique characteristics pretty difficult to prove who the builder was. You have a nice genetic plains rifle. Wish you luck in finding evidence to narrow who the builder could have been. Maybe you could take it to a museum that specializes in mid 19th century muzzleloaders for assistance in figuring things out. Again, nice gun. Good luck.

rich pierce- Thanks for your knowledge on the drum and nipple! You taught an old dog a new trick. Are you agreement that Hawken made generic Midwest halfstock rifles? 58Viktor

Yes, we are in agreement that the Hawken brothers made many grades of rifles. They were proud of all their work and stamped all their rifles, shotguns and pistols.

What you have, and what we agree on, is an original half stock rifle that has no provenance to any particular maker of rifles.

I'm done with this topic.

Last edited:
rich pierce- Thanks for your knowledge on the drum and nipple! You taught an old dog a new trick. Are you agreement that Hawken made generic Midwest halfstock rifles? 58Viktor
You’ve been given advice and opinions from a few guys who’s knowledge about these rifles can be taken as truth. They know their stuff as historians on hawken rifles. You’ve had all of them bail out on the conversation out of frustration. When rich Pierce says it’s not a hawken then it’s not a hawken. Your rifle was NOT made by the Hawken Family. Period.

Thank you every body. Great forum!! Your passion on these great rifle of history shines!!! These rifles will go to a museum here where I live. I also have another rife that was discovered with this rifle. Both to have been known to have always been together and It is dated 1841. I am under the impression that this other rifle was the rifle that replaced this one. That's another reason I am sure this one is "Very Early" for sure. Sorry if I offended anyone by the test was anyone saying all Hawken rifles were signed needs to understand a little more about the times. If all the Hawken rifles were signed, then were did the all go? Hope you will have me back! 58vikor over and out

Latest posts

Back