• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Original Hawken question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are correct about percussion damage: This early style snail arrangement is not good, as the cap flashed all over the place, with resultant corrosion. Later Hawkens had this fault corrected, and it was improved again and again until the ultimate perfection found in Sam's last rifle. pg 18 Hawken Rifle The mountain man's choice by John D. Baird. Thank you for setting me straight.

Attachments

• 2005_0109HAWKENrifle20054.JPG
    2005_0109HAWKENrifle20054.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 143
You are correct about percussion damage: This early style snail arrangement is not good, as the cap flashed all over the place, with resultant corrosion. Later Hawkens had this fault corrected, and it was improved again and again until the ultimate perfection found in Sam's last rifle. pg 18 Hawken Rifle The mountain man's choice by John D. Baird. Thank you for setting me straight.
This is not a snail. It’s a drum and nipple arrangement.

This is not a snail. It’s a drum and nipple arrangement.
Thank you for your observation! Does that mean this rifle was converted from flint as I first thought? Just read this due your observation:

The drum system allows easy conversion of flintlocks to the percussion system simply by drilling and tapping the vent hole in the barrel to accept the drum, removing the firzzen and pan from the lock and changing the cock for a hammer. Many flintlocks were converted to percussion using this method. Nathaniel Wyeth noted in his journal that in December, 1834 they had converted 3 flintlock rifles to percussion because the condition of their powder was such that the flintlocks would not ignite it.

A great many cheap later percussion guns were made with the drum and nipple arrangement when new. This gun is a generic Midwest percussion halfstock from around 1840-1860.
With due respect I can assure you this not a late barrel. Also this rifle toe plate to butt-plate is riveted and fluxed also early. Nothing about this rifle says late. Every aspect of this rifle says hawken and not generic. Thanks for your opinion. Note also no cheek piece: Here is a picture of it's sister
IMG_20210208_200048.jpg

I’m afraid your rifle is a mass produced generic plains style rifle. I’ve seen many of these for sale at my local gun shows, albeit I’ve never seen one with the lock held in the manner that yours is. I agree with Rich is assessing that this is no Hawken, I doubt it’s even a distant relative of the Hawken rifle.
Hang on to it, display it and enjoy it..
👍🏻

I’m afraid your rifle is a mass produced generic plains style rifle. I’ve seen many of these for sale at my local gun shows, albeit I’ve never seen one with the lock held in the manner that yours is. I agree with Rich is assessing that this is no Hawken, I doubt it’s even a distant relative of the Hawken rifle.
Hang on to it, display it and enjoy it..
👍🏻
What generic is early as this rifle proves to be. Please point out one thing that says generic? Thank you

2020_0221HAWKENrifle0064.JPG
Here's a few other pictures for maybe a closer look
2020_0221HAWKENrifle0066.JPG

Attachments

• 2005_0109HAWKENrifle20014.JPG
    2005_0109HAWKENrifle20014.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 107
  • 2020_0221HAWKENrifle0046.JPG
    2020_0221HAWKENrifle0046.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 114
  • 2020_0221HAWKENrifle0026.JPG
    2020_0221HAWKENrifle0026.JPG
    220.8 KB · Views: 109
  • 2005_0109HAWKENrifle20005.JPG
    2005_0109HAWKENrifle20005.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 111
Thank you for your interest and it is interesting. That's why I wanted to share with your great forum. The fact that it is original condition with original ram rod... repaired buy a gun shop... not many of these survived. Most were used up and traded off, even to the Native Americans who were known to not take very good care of our rifles. I am the great, great grandson of Chief Col-lee. Let's see if someone who has read all the books comes aboard. Thanks again 58viktor

Thank you for your interest and it is interesting. That's why I wanted to share with your great forum. The fact that it is original condition with original ram rod... repaired buy a gun shop... not many of these survived. Most were used up and traded off, even to the Native Americans who were known to not take very good care of our rifles. I am the great, great grandson of Chief Col-lee. Let's see if someone who has read all the books comes aboard. Thanks again 58viktor
Last attempt. Please post closeup photograph of the Hawken signature or stamp on the barrel flats. What is so difficult about that? Unless there is no Hawken signature or stamp to be found and photographed?

Latest posts

Back