• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ordering cannon fuse

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know that this might be off topic but a friend gave me a roll of fuse and stupid me, I just assumed that it was regular cannon fuse. It was a light blue color and I cut about a 10” piece and used to fire in my cannon. Well, when I lite the fuse, my cannon went off instantaneously blowing flame from the touch hole in my face. I was dumbfounded what went wrong. When I read the package it came in it stated that this fuse burnt 3 feet per second! I thanked God that my negligence didn’t get me hurt. Just beware of what you are buying.
Good thing it wasn't det cord. Burns 21,000 feet per second. Fun stuff if you get a chance to play with it. I got a chance while in the Army. Yeehaw!

yes it can be sent by USPS I had a 300 foot roll of cannon fuse sent to me, it cams USPS with no problem.
Did the carrier know what was in the box?
I would be really surprised a USPS worker behind the counter would want anything to do with it if they knew what it was.

TDM, thanks for the lead. I have two within 15 miles of me, but neither one has it in stock right now and since they can't look at a package they don't know if it's 2 or 3mm. I need 2mm. Can't find the answer on Traditions site either. Do you happen to know?

TDM, thanks for the lead. I have two within 15 miles of me, but neither one has it in stock right now and since they can't look at a package they don't know if it's 2 or 3mm. I need 2mm. Can't find the answer on Traditions site either. Do you happen to know?
Have you looked online for the size and to see if you can have it shipped to the store? If you can’t find an answer to the size let me know, I have several packs here. I’ll dig them out and check.

I went ahead and checked the stock I have. They’re all the same Traditions part #, think they all came from Sportsman’s. And they are 3 MM.

Attachments

• IMG_3589.jpeg
    IMG_3589.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
TDM, thank you for looking. Unfortunately where I can find it, it's all 3mm or larger. Since my last reply here I learned that I can go as large as 2.5mm, but that is also as scarce as hen's teeth. I have one final possible local source (I'd like to avoid the cost and especially the attention that a hazmat labeled package could create with my neighbors). If I can't find any, I guess I'll become a linstock/slow match pro!

TDM, thank you for looking. Unfortunately where I can find it, it's all 3mm or larger. Since my last reply here I learned that I can go as large as 2.5mm, but that is also as scarce as hen's teeth. I have one final possible local source (I'd like to avoid the cost and especially the attention that a hazmat labeled package could create with my neighbors). If I can't find any, I guess I'll become a linstock/slow match pro!
We’ll best of luck. But its probably worth the call to Graf & Sons or the other sources mentioned to confirm whether hazmat is mandatory and sizes available.

Over the past couple weeks I emailed several vendors to find out what's what. While there have been varying opinions and replies in this forum as to hazmat charges, shipping methods, etc. my research shows that the pkg must be marked hazmat regardless of how shipped, fuse must go ground and can't be shipped by air as it is classed as an explosive, and it can go via ground only USPS. Funny thing is, some sites that appear to be reputable wouldn't reply. Maybe they are taking a chance and shipping the cheapest way possible for them and disregarding the hazmat. I don't know if the recipient of an improperly/illegally shipped pkg is liable, but I don't want to find out the hard way.

Things have changed since I was a kid. We always went to the local hobby shop to get our rocket engines and the cannon fuse to light them. I don't know if your local hobby shop sells cannon fuse. It is worth looking into so you don't have any mailing hassles. Do they charge hazmat for that ?

Yes, thanks flatcreek. That's a good thought but I'm holding drilling as a last resort because the flame shooting up from the present hole, which is 3/32", is so tremendous I don't want to increase it unless absolutely necessary. It's taken me 77 years to get a handgonne, so I can wait a bit longer before I make an irreversible mod that might not be the best. 😱

Can you drill the fuse hole so 3mm will work?
Sure a person could enlarge the vent hole. But this might not be a good course of action, as it will vent more with a model. Vent hole size vs bore size.

I remember buying a stock load of 2mm fuse at amazon with free shipping in the year 2020. And good stuff.

Things have changed, Biden has passed regulations on firearm shipping that now makes it impossible to send some product or at least make it more difficult. And USPS is holding pat with the changes.

At the present time it looks like 2mm fuse is out of stock at just about everywhere. You probably only have 2 choices. Keep searching for the first to get it back in stock, Bite the bullet and pay the haz fee and stock up to make it less costly in the long run. Waiting for it to get back in stock who knows how long, but it probably will eventually. All according how bad you want it. I gave you a link where it is in stock.

Did the carrier know what was in the box?
I would be really surprised a USPS worker behind the counter would want anything to do with it if they knew what it was.

341.22 Mailable Explosives​

The following specific types of explosives may be mailed only when the applicable conditions are met. Full responsibility rests with the mailer to comply with Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) regulations before mailing.
  1. Toy Propellant Devices. The proper shipping name for a toy propellant device is “model rocket motor” or “igniters.” A toy propellant device assigned UN0454 or NA0323 and classed as a Division 1.4S explosive is eligible for mailing in domestic mail via surface transportation only when prior written permission has been obtained from the director, Product Classification, USPS Headquarters, Washington, DC. A device approved for mailing is subject to the following conditions:
    1. Each device must be ignitable by electrical means only; contain no more than 30 g (1.07 oz) of propellant; and produce less than 80 newton seconds of total impulse with thrust duration not less than 0.050 second.
    2. Each device must be constructed so that all chemical ingredients are preloaded into a cylindrical paper or similarly constructed nonmetallic tube that does not fragment into sharp, hard pieces; must be designed so that it will not burst under normal conditions of use; must be incapable of spontaneous ignition under 500° F; and must not contain any type of explosive or pyrotechnic warhead other than a small, activation–charge, parachute–recovery system.
    3. Each mailpiece containing approved devices must be prepared for mailing following Packaging Instruction 1A in Appendix C. A shipper’s declaration for dangerous goods is required.
  2. Safety Fuses (UN0105). Safety fuses consist of a core of black powder over–spun with yarns, waterproofing compounds, and/or tapes. Safety fuses assigned UN0105 as a Division 1.4S explosive may be mailed in domestic mail via surface transportation only when prior written approval has been granted by the director, Product Classification, USPS Headquarters, Washington, DC. Mailable safety fuses must be prepared using Packaging Instruction 1B in Appendix C. A shipper’s declaration for dangerous goods is required.
  3. Note: “Safety Fuses” are not to be confused with “fusees.” Fusees are rail and highway distress signals that are nonmailable Class 4 flammable solids.
  4. Shotgun Hulls, Empty Casings, Nonmetallic Shotgun Hulls, or Casings Without Primers. These articles are not classified as explosives or hazardous materials under 49 CFR and, therefore, are mailable subject to the applicable mailing rules (see 227).
hope this helps, from the USPS website

Sure a person could enlarge the vent hole. But this might not be a good course of action, as it will vent more with a model. Vent hole size vs bore size.

I remember buying a stock load of 2mm fuse at amazon with free shipping in the year 2020. And good stuff.

Things have changed, Biden has passed regulations on firearm shipping that now makes it impossible to send some product or at least make it more difficult. And USPS is holding pat with the changes.

At the present time it looks like 2mm fuse is out of stock at just about everywhere. You probably only have 2 choices. Keep searching for the first to get it back in stock, Bite the bullet and pay the haz fee and stock up to make it less costly in the long run. Waiting for it to get back in stock who knows how long, but it probably will eventually. All according how bad you want it. I gave you a link where it is in stock.
Pyrobuild has 2mm fuse available, you can buy a 328 foot spool, or 20 feet

Back