• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help Please.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHGBoy

32 Cal
Reaction score
This was a freebee. By Loose Cannon Gun Works of Ft. Wayne Ind. Now defunct. Main bore: 1.685"dia x 4" deep. Powder chamber: 1"dia x 1.25"deep. Fuse hole; .132"dia. Major bbl ring dia 3.5". Main bbl dia 3". Wt; 12.8#. Material: turned steel. Minor surface rust with no pitting inside or out. Probably a golf ball mortar. No paperwork can be had at this time. Still looking.

I figure its safe to shoot (?) but I could use some advice on powder, charge, wads, etc..... I have several Winchester signal cannons so if this is a bust I'll simply trash it out. Comments please.

Attachments

• IMG_1030.jpeg
    IMG_1030.jpeg
    118.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1031.jpeg
    IMG_1031.jpeg
    110.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1032.jpeg
    IMG_1032.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1033.jpeg
    IMG_1033.jpeg
    90.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1035.jpeg
    IMG_1035.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1037.jpeg
    IMG_1037.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 0
First off, welcome to the forum. I know nothing about cannons so others here will chime in with good info. But I think that is a good something-or-other; please don't "trash it". Someone here will put it to good use.

THNX Cu. Won't trash it unless research finds it's unsafe. That's why I'm hoping to find out something about the manufacturer. If they have a history of problems then - IMHO - removal from the public domain is the best policy.

Best guess for mow is 1oz Cannon to FFg blackpowder, probably use Goex, and a flour packed bore for a test bang flash.

I'm concerned about the lack of secure attachment of the barrel to the base. And the size of the base seems a little skimpy. Conclusion; Tie it down put some powder in it and a projectile and light the fuse. Take all the normal safety requirements.

That much mass, unlikely to move. Start with a capful (old goex metal can), loose pour and drop the ball in. It may provide better ignition by inserting the fuse first. By not using any wadding if there is a problem it can be dumped out.

Again THNX.

Captn - I like the idea of securing the trunions. A couple pipe straps should work for testing. I also agree the base is kind of light/flimsey. I have a small but well tooled wood shop plus an older Bridgeport knee mill so I'm pretty sure I can make a beefier one. Wouldn't mind an adjustable elevation stop.

Comm - Fuse in first is a good tip. Probably just use a light wax paper wad a couple of times before I pack in the flour or try launching a golf egg.

Last edited:
Back