• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

order of operations.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean E Bug

32 cal. or less
Reaction score
I am building my first non kit rifle. I have inlet the barrel, lock, and trigger plate. I am wondering should i drill the holes for the barrel tenons now or after I shape the stock. I read recreating the Pennsylvania long rifle but now that I have a question I cant seem to find it. it can probably be done either way, but I would like to avoid chipping out the wood or doing layout on a curved surface.

I agree with Bill. Also if you put a piece of (tan) paper tape over the area you are going to drill (press the tape down firmly) it will help to stop the wood from chipping.

Yup it can be done either way. If your stock is in the square, I'd do it now, but take off the excess material on either side of the barrel, not to final dimension, but to lessen the wood you have to drill through. Easier to drill an accurate hole through less wood, than thicker. Less chance of the bit wandering.

thank you all for the advice. going to mark the holes and tape the other side. farmer I might post a few photos when I am done. just don't want to create a blind leading the lost kind of situation if anybody decides to fallow my lead. this is a picture of when I soldered the barrel and hooked tang together for inletting.

Attachments

• 20220123_134735.jpg
    20220123_134735.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 38
Back