• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Opinions Requested

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a nice shade orange I think.

Thinned the lock panels quite a bit and I think I am about to cut in the molding on top of the side panels, thought I should get a few more eyes on it before I do!
Pencil marks are where I'm thinking. Input is very appreciated!

For what it's worth, I am way over my head trying to somewhat replicate images below. ( I think pics help me more than anything, I can see now that I need to shape the top of the stock to be less rounded.)
20190220_140019a.jpg
IMG_9497.jpg
20190220_110234a.jpg
IMG_9443.jpg
20190220_110505a.jpg
IMG_9444.jpg

Hi Scott,
You are doing very well indeed. The profile of the top at the breech is almost British-like. Note that the barrel tang angles down starting right at the barrel. For the contour at the top, look at that first photo I showed you relative to shaping the lock area. The tang almost sits up on a pedestal whose sides drop away almost with a concave shape. I believe on the original, the contour is pretty flat but a flat surface there gives the illusion of a concave surface.

dave

I've been cleaning up the lock panels some more and I think I'm pretty close to "there". In hindsight, I should have found someone with a reference rifle that I could use. That would have been very helpful, since I've never really inspected one and I'm trying to build one... Actually, I don't think I personally know anyone with a flintlock.

I've been cleaning up the lock panels some more and I think I'm pretty close to "there". In hindsight, I should have found someone with a reference rifle that I could use. That would have been very helpful, since I've never really inspected one and I'm trying to build one... Actually, I don't think I personally know anyone with a flintlock.
Hi Scott,
My response does not help you on your current project but your comment about a reference gun is well taken. Nothing can replace actually handling originals and well made contemporary guns. This is why Jim Kibler's kits are so valuable over all others currently available. When you buy a Kibler kit you get a gun that serves as that reference. His kits represent the best in historically correct architecture and if those who buy his kits are smart, they will study their kits to understand the details that Jim incorporated to make them so stylistically and historically correct. They are head and shoulders above all other offerings in that respect, and I mean all other offerings. None of the kits by TVM, Chambers, Tip Curtiss, Pecatonica, or Track of the Wolf come close to demonstrating the architectural details that represent a well made original or contemporary gun.

dave

Well I've not been able to give as much time to this rifle this last month or so, but I have been working on it here and there and I figured it was time for another assessment. I've worked on the areas that Dave and others have recommended and did finally get my trigger guard in. Anyway, please let me know where I need more attention prior to final sand... Thanks!
20190403_173940.jpg
20190403_173930.jpg
20190403_173950.jpg
20190403_174000.jpg
20190403_17405.jpg
20190403_174020.jpg
20190403_174510.jpg
20190403_174130.jpg
20190403_174120.jpg

Attachments

• 20190403_173910.jpg
    20190403_173910.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 229
your rifle is goods as is. just make it perfect as is. i cant see doing more than finishing it as is. make it beautiful and simple, and a good shooter. it will serve you well for many a years.

Hi Scott,
It looks good. The area around the front of the guard seems to be very flat, particularly on one side. It should have a very slight even radius. The guard does not have to be inlet into a perfectly flat surface despite being flat on the bottom. You can file the outward edges down lower than the center to accommodate the curve. Also the aprons around the front of the lock panels looks uneven from the bottom. It may just be the angle of the photo.

dave

I see metal too high and gaps at the tang and butt plate. To build a long gun is art in the extreme but some of your work looks decent.

Thanks for the input. I forgot that I wet the stock for the first set of pictures to help show more, probably should have done that yesterday too...
I will give some attention to the suggestions above. Wood is actually a bit proud around the tang, pics are deceiving. And I haven't peened or polished the butt plate yet.

Thanks again,
Scott

Hi Scott,
If you have resources look at photos of the original gun. The flat around the lock and sideplate virtually disappears along the bottom of the lock and side plate. That gives you room to curve the stock around the trigger guard. Don't be afraid, as most early stage builders are, of thinning those lock panels. If I was making your gun, I would eliminate the flats altogether along the bottom of the lock and side plate and then just give the panels a few swipes of 220 grit sandpaper (probably no more than 2 swipes) backed by a flat piece of wood that creates a hint of a flat.

dave

Poured a couple fingers of Bourbon last night and worked on the belly of the gun. I did as Dave suggested and thinned the bottom of the panels to get a radius around the trigger guard. I think it's getting there. I believe the bourbon helped...
20190404_214700.jpg

I think alcohol and building go together just like alcohol and driving.

A slightly numbed mind can easily overlook what removing too much wood or filing something wrong can do.

I save my drinking time for after the gun has been put aside and the tools have been put away.

A bit of the dew does allow me to study the gun and think of things that I might improve on though I wouldn't try to do whatever it is at that time.

Everyone has their own tolerance and response to booze, I'm about 80% German, so...

I know from my pool league days, I was best with a few in me, but their was a fine line to where the wheels fell off.

Look, since nobody else has I will give it you straight. It's time to abandon this build and start over. Since I am the bearer of bad news I will pay ya 50% of the parts ya got in it and you send it here I I'll see if I can salvage it then sell it and split whatever I can get. PM me for address (I will even pay shipping).

Actually my friend It looks about as good as yer gonna get. I sure hope one day I can put one together looking 1/2 that good. Yer REALLY gonna love shooting that beauty when yer finally done. Congrats, hats off to you!:thumb:

Ha! Thanks for the offer and complement. I think I will at least wait and see what she looks like in the end! When I first got the hair in my rear end to do this project, I had zero idea of what I was getting into. Learned a lot and got a ton of great information and suggestions from this site. I shudder to think of what it would have looked like if I hadn't stumbled on this site while waiting for it to arrive. And I appreciate the honest critiques as much as the complements.

Back