• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Opinions-Price Check??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BossHoss

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Any ya'll got any 'sperience on this Corsair 44 I come across :confused: Is it worth the neighborhood of $200???

pop_wm_1047205.jpg

Your picture of the Corsiar 44 looks just like a gun that was called the Renegade and imported by INTERCONTINENTAL ARMS INC. back in the early 1970's.

That gun was described by the importer as "An economically priced double-barrel percussion pistol proofed for shooting..."

I have no idea what the current value of one of these is but I would be hard pressed to offer much more than $125 for it.
Part of my reasons for this low bid is that parts like the mainsprings may be just about impossible to get if you need to replace one.

Preciate the input - I know it looks great 'n cool but its been on auction fer a while so i got that "If it to gud to be true" feelin :nono: I was'nt wantin it to bad noways :hmm:
Tryin to save fer that Hawkens anyways :hatsoff:

These were cheaply made guns slapped together to take advantage of the early rebirth of interest in muzzleloading. Not even worth buying as a wall hanger or paper weight. The springs tended to be so weak that they couldn't ignite the caps. No telling how many fingers and eyes this unintended feature saved.

I have one of those pistols. It was my very first muzzleloader. I got it for my 12th or 13th birthday back in the 70's. A couple years back I found a listing in the gun prices website. I don't remember particulars, but it's not worth a heckuva lot. I think $200 or so in like new condition. Mine would be worth about $100 maybe.

The Corsair was imported by EMF. I've seen it listed by other names and importers too, so it's a model that has been around a while. Shame it's not available anymore. It was also offered in .36.

The gun itself has very good fit and finish for an economical model. Light, tasteful hand engraving, indexed screws, deep flawless polished bluing, etc.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with Russ, at least in regards to my own experiences. Mine has been fired several thousand times over the decades and has never had a light strike or misfire. It has also proven to be very durable, as most of it's life was spent firing heavy overcharges. The gun dealer we bought it from used, apparently knew little to nothing about black powder. He told me how to load and fire the gun. His advice for charges was standard for rifles! He said to start with a load the same weight as it's caliber, 44 grains, and work up! Not knowing any better, the little gun fired off many pounds of Goex, then many pounds of the then new Pyrodex, 45-50 grains at a time.

If you do get the gun, swap out the nipples first off. The flash channel in them is too large and the blast will set the hammers at halfcock and char the wood near the nipples, even at normal loads.

As for shooting, it's a nice gun, but nothing special. Even though the barrels are rifled, it's hard to hit with because it only has a front bead sight and no rear. Also the barrels aren't indexed too well on mine. One barrel shoots to point of aim and the other is off to the side a bit, though spot on for elevation. The triggers are stiff with one being quite a bit harder than the other.

For as much use and abuse as mine has received, I give it high marks for durability.

Here's a pic of mine.
double7.jpg

Plink said:
I have one of those pistols. It was my very first muzzleloader. I got it for my 12th or 13th birthday back in the 70's. A couple years back I found a listing in the gun prices website. I don't remember particulars, but it's not worth a heckuva lot. I think $200 or so in like new condition. Mine would be worth about $100 maybe.

The Corsair was imported by EMF. I've seen it listed by other names and importers too, so it's a model that has been around a while. Shame it's not available anymore. It was also offered in .36.

The gun itself has very good fit and finish for an economical model. Light, tasteful hand engraving, indexed screws, deep flawless polished bluing, etc.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with Russ, at least in regards to my own experiences. Mine has been fired several thousand times over the decades and has never had a light strike or misfire. It has also proven to be very durable, as most of it's life was spent firing heavy overcharges. The gun dealer we bought it from used, apparently knew little to nothing about black powder. He told me how to load and fire the gun. His advice for charges was standard for rifles! He said to start with a load the same weight as it's caliber, 44 grains, and work up! Not knowing any better, the little gun fired off many pounds of Goex, then many pounds of the then new Pyrodex, 45-50 grains at a time.

If you do get the gun, swap out the nipples first off. The flash channel in them is too large and the blast will set the hammers at halfcock and char the wood near the nipples, even at normal loads.

As for shooting, it's a nice gun, but nothing special. Even though the barrels are rifled, it's hard to hit with because it only has a front bead sight and no rear. Also the barrels aren't indexed too well on mine. One barrel shoots to point of aim and the other is off to the side a bit, though spot on for elevation. The triggers are stiff with one being quite a bit harder than the other.

For as much use and abuse as mine has received, I give it high marks for durability.

Here's a pic of mine.
double7.jpg

That is an interesting long term range report. :hatsoff:

Have traded into several of these over the years but never shot one. So far have not heard of one coming apart in use.

I have to admit having a love affair with the little thing. I guess because we go so far back and because it's the gun that got me addicted to muzzleloading. I've always wished a cheap one would come along when I had a few bucks. I'd love to make a cased set of them.

I also wish I knew what they used to blue the steel with. Not only is the bluing very pretty, it's also the most durable bluing I've ever seen. No corrosion of any kind throughout many years of neglect, sitting in the back of the gun safe. Only in the last 10 years or so has it been routinely cleaned and oiled.

Back