• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Little bit different ROA

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Check out this 1974 ROA. Its the first Ive seen with the dragoon guard. Or the wider ribbed trigger.
Are they any more desireable than any other? It comes with the box, wrench, instructions, and some balls, patches, lube, etc. Whats it worth? And your overall opinions? 9A37F72C-0A24-42CF-9358-D0B60E7A29C2.jpeg4107D28E-CC40-49BC-98A3-1F8800757D71.jpeg92A3A4BC-DBC7-4A36-90FD-F1D1A8D69D8F.jpeg81B76406-0F26-46D7-AF86-3D4AE8F3EA1E.jpeg4B2BDBAC-7645-4D17-AFFC-E235DEFF248B.jpeg883CD7A0-9446-430A-A4CF-9D47CBDF243E.jpegCA5A3F85-AAA8-4043-AD89-AC9219A586DE.jpeg0156CCD7-5428-409B-8160-B36A60EF3510.jpeg0156CCD7-5428-409B-8160-B36A60EF3510.jpeg5333BC76-DE78-404C-A7BE-44043584FC3A.jpeg

looks just like one of my own
I don’t have any brass framed ROA’s but I put Super Blackhawk frames on any Old Army I intend to keep. These pics were snapped the day this grip frame came in. It was kind of rough, prettier now… but they fit so well. I have triggers and hammers on order from Ronnie Wells but they’re taking a while to get here.

AA2ED56B-CF1F-4846-9F66-F64556A72078.jpeg

Last edited:
Mine did fail at the bottom near trigger guard, split in two. Steel frame. Ruger repaired lickidy split and threw in spare cylinder. So just know the brass frame is subject to unknowns, factory had no answer why mine broke. hairline crack but threw accuracy to like 3 foot groups at 25 yds (on a HAM javalina hunt of course). PARTS NO LONGER AVAILABLE

I like the ROA with the fixed sight.

As much of a Ruger fanboi as I am and I own many dozens of their unmentionable revolvers, I have never really sought out a ROA and I can't really explain why.

I did some google searching last night and found that Ruger built a total of 1200 of these with the brass frame. All in the first 3 years of production. This one falls in that serial number range, so wasn’t an add-on.

You won't know for sure unless you call Ruger CS with the SN to find out if it was shipped with the brassie (Ruger used to sell brassie's as an accessory item that needed fitting to the frame along the sides)

A factory-issue brassie ROA will usually change hands for 50% more than a steel frame ROA

You really should try one Stan. They’re maybe not as pretty as an open top, but theyre tough as nails and good shooters.
I don’t have any adjustable sighted ROA’s anymore. Ruger could have made a highly visible lower profile rear sight (look at Hamilton Bowens website for the ideas) but they didn’t. For pure target work theyre alright but for a field or carry, I prefer the Vaquero style fixed sights. Bulletproof and still very use sight.

You won't know for sure unless you call Ruger CS with the SN to find out if it was shipped with the brassie (Ruger used to sell brassie's as an accessory item that needed fitting to the frame along the sides)

A factory-issue brassie ROA will usually change hands for 50% more than a steel frame ROA
Thank’s for the solid advise Pietro. I will give them a call and see what I find out. I dont really think it would have been swapped out. Hell, everything from the original purchase is in the box, including a box of 100 .457 balls and an unopened tube of Navy Arms grease. Even some patches which made me wonder why and led me to believe this was the original buyers first and likely only bp revolver purchase. Probably bought and put in the old drawer until the day came to settle the estate. But yeah, I will see what the factory says, I’ve been fooled before.
image.jpg

I did not know Ruger issued the ROA in a brass-framed version. That one is a beauty, and the square-backed guard looks really good on that big old Dragoon revolver.

I had a pair of the standard blue ROAs with fixed sights, but I traded them away. Sometimes I regret it, sometimes not. For me, the Rugers were a pleasure to shoot, but a major pain to clean. It is my habit to complete a detailed cleaning on every gun after a shooting session, and compared to a Colt, a Ruger is pretty complicated.

However, I would love to have a revolver like that one. It is gorgeous. Brass can be artificially aged, but that particular glow that you see on old brass is pretty hard to duplicate, and that revolver has it.

Enjoy it! And congratulations for an extraordinary acquisition!

Notchy Bob

Back