• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

About Selling Books

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look at eBay, thriftbooks.com, abebokes.com, discover books.com.

If you have a copy of Grinslades “Flintlock Fowlers” I’d be interested.
I don't have that one, either, but I'll go through what I have over the weekend and start posting them. Thanks for your interest.

I use to trade,collect,sell old books .

An old timer told me to make a list then post it on your blog.
Do a little search for title and prices.
You have to decide if you want to sell the books at a fair price. because you've enjoyed them and you want other people to enjoy them and be able to afford them.

And don't be afraid to charge a little more if you have some titles that are well worth it.
I'll start sorting out books this weekend. Thanks for the advice.

That's good advice from @#blackpowderbill
It's a lot of work to sell them yourself. If there is a reputable used book dealer in your area they would probably love to take them off your hands for a fair price. You won't get as much as you would if you did it yourself, but you would save yourself a big headache. Personally, I would stay away from any business associated with Amazon like Abebooks, or Half Price Books or Powell's. They typically offer pennies on the dollar. A small mom and pop book shop will give you a better deal.
If you want to make the most off the sales, however, just make a list with titles, authors and prices, and post it in the "for sale" forum. If you include postage in your price (just add $5 to $10) it makes it a lot easier than having to calculate later on.
Hope this helps.

Instead of trying to sell yours, how about donating your books. Your educational material.

I'd think there are tons of VA Hospitals around that could use quality reading material.

Or schools. Or libraries. Or old folk's homes. Or any number of other places.

Then you could possibly make them a charitable contribution and take it off your taxes.

Then you could possibly make more in tax write-offs than selling your books outright.

It's a lot of work to sell them yourself. If there is a reputable used book dealer in your area they would probably love to take them off your hands for a fair price. You won't get as much as you would if you did it yourself, but you would save yourself a big headache. Personally, I would stay away from any business associated with Amazon like Abebooks, or Half Price Books or Powell's. They typically offer pennies on the dollar. A small mom and pop book shop will give you a better deal.
If you want to make the most off the sales, however, just make a list with titles, authors and prices, and post it in the "for sale" forum. If you include postage in your price (just add $5 to $10) it makes it a lot easier than having to calculate later on.
Hope this helps.
Thanks, Piperdally: Appreciate the advice. There are a couple of used book dealers nearby I can contact, but I plan to start selling individually at first.

Instead of trying to sell yours, how about donating your books. Your educational materials.

Then you could possibly make them a charitable contribution and take it off your taxes.
This is a great idea, but unfortunately public libraries, especially school libraries, won't take books on firearms because they are not "politically correct". If they do take them make sure they won't just put them in the dumpster.

Oh well, I guess I'll just will them to the local library before I kick the bucket.

The local library will dispose of them. Books on guns, hunting and such are not longer OK to have in a public library.

The same goes for giving things to museums. They will not likely display any of your items. They will probably steal or sell them.

The same goes for giving things to museums. They will not likely display any of your items. They will probably steal or sell them.

Sad but true. I had some historically important items that belonged to original settlers in a state here in the PNW. No museum wanted them. A museum in the country these settlers came from, however, was eager to get them.

I think a lot of the speculation about Libraries and certain types of books depends on the area you're in, A few years back I had a very large collection of books on the civil war. With a lot of the books devoted to the arms and equipment used, Called the local library told them what I had, and they were happy to get them.

Our local library will put them in the Friends of the Library sale room. They will never see the average library patron.
We have a Friends of the Library here too. That's where my books will go. I went to an estate sale today that had a wealth of good reading material. The fellow who collected the books was of our age when he passed. I bought quite a few books by Rooseveldt, Ruark, Corey Ford and Elmer Keith for darn near nothing. Not too many people read books these days.

I'm not one of those. I only have somewhere around 4000,5000. That is on shelves.Who counts? Have at least that many in boxes. I used to sell books and auto parts on eBay, very, very little fiction. Mostly automotive related, religious, military, craft, hunting, fishing, history and science related. I bought a lot of mine at a dollar or so a box at estate sales, yard sales, flea mkts, and local auctions. My reading interests are extremely varied.

My wife works part time at our local library. Every year they pull books that have not circulated much and offer them for sale for $1 or less, those that don’t sell go straight to the dumpster. It’s a shame but true. Also since I have gotten into this hobby she has searched the entire state collection and has found only a handful relating to muzzle loafing.

I have found that Ebay is actually a pretty good market for books.. Do a bit of research (amazon, google) for the title, format, etc. Ebay is a world market, and usually the going market price meets itself if you properly describe and list the book. I used strictly USPS for mail, priority shipping which is a set predictable price for shipping. Condition is everything. Garage sales, local used book stores, etc. usually are poor markets...strictly walk in demand.

We have a Friends of the Library here too. That's where my books will go. I went to an estate sale today that had a wealth of good reading material. The fellow who collected the books was of our age when he passed. I bought quite a few books by Rooseveldt, Ruark, Corey Ford and Elmer Keith for darn near nothing. Not too many people read books these days.
IF they are no longer in print, and especially if they are out of copywrite, contact Hathitrust, and see how they can be uploaded, so that folks who have woke library systems can access the books visually copied and thus they will never age further, nor be damaged by use over time as they would being "on the shelf" at a library.

HathiTrust

LD

Hope this helps.
Yea I agree put them on here and sell them I've been looking for the book, Seeing through the eyes of yesterday by Patrick H Hallem and haven't found it yet.

Back