• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Opinions on scopes and sights.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Yes, I believe peeps should be allowed as they go back a long way"

I would agree if the peeps were of a type available in the past but not the modern design, same with bullets, otherwise putting the word traditional ahead of it all is a joke.as with modern design peeps and bullets the range and ballistics are considerably different from a gun with peeps and conicals in the 1840's. tgis is why the line should be drawn at prb, period open fixed sights. level playing field, very similar to what was used in the past, no way to slip thru the backdoor with modern stuff. The RX for a scope is a tough one, I have to lean toward this being a special season that may not be for every one whatever the reason may be for needing a crutch so to speak, as there are many other seasons which allow all the bells and whistles.

The RX for a scope is a tough one, I have to lean toward this being a special season that may not be for every one whatever the reason may be for needing a crutch so to speak, as there are many other seasons which allow all the bells and whistles.

:agree:...particularly since this proposal is to 'add' additional days, not take any away, so no one with any kind of handicap would have anything they currently qualify for in other seasons reduced in any way.

I sincerely doubt that any more seasons will ever fly in my state. The only chance here is to get some of the managed area hunts changed to new rules, so yes, some people who might have hunted them would be left out. We already have a four month bow season, a three day junior season, an 11 day modern season, the 11 day so called muzzleloader season, a short January doe season is specific areas, and about 20 managed area hunts. Right now the MDC is doing crazy things like going to phone checks this year, so you can forget anything that would require the least effort on their part. At several of the area managed hunts now the warden goes home at 4:30. If you kill after that, you have to bring the whole animal back the next day to check it, no matter how far away you live or what the weather is. It is too much to expect the warden to stay a few extra hours that week. They started a four points on one side minimum policy on bucks one year and phone checks the next. They are not going to go for any new activities that cost them even one hour of labor.

i agree as well TG
I talk to a lot of folks in my line of work and around here that often leads to hunting .
I have found most that have stopped hunting didn

"Yes, I believe peeps should be allowed as they go back a long way"

I would agree if the peeps were of a type available in the past but not the modern design, same with bullets, otherwise putting the word traditional ahead of it all is a joke.as with modern design peeps and bullets the range and ballistics are considerably different from a gun with peeps and conicals in the 1840's. tgis is why the line should be drawn at prb, period open fixed sights. level playing field, very similar to what was used in the past, no way to slip thru the backdoor with modern stuff. The RX for a scope is a tough one, I have to lean toward this being a special season that may not be for every one whatever the reason may be for needing a crutch so to speak, as there are many other seasons which allow all the bells and whistles.

TG, I also agree. With peep sights (as well as period optics), who (as in C/O Officer?) is going to ensure that they are the correct type of sight appropriate to a given rifle?
Answer: Not going to happen.

With fixed steel/iron open sights, it's easy for a C/O Officer to glance at a weapon (or identify with a spotting scope from great distances which is often the case if they can see you) and see that it's within the hunt guidelines or not.
Same goes for PRB. A C/O officer merely need to peek inside your pouch and see what's inside or in a speedloader or loading block to easily see what type of extra projectiles you are carrying. (tough to see what's already in the bore, I would not look to find out. :)

Otherwise then we are talking about having period-correct weapon/implement judged hunts or basically thread counting only with weapons. And who (state official) is going to officiate and preside over that in the field?
Answer: Not going to happen unless were a privately sponsored and conducted hunt.

Speaking of which (off topic), does anyone currently conduct or have participated in private primitive guidelines hunts?

What if people just kept there effective hunting range within their sight limitations instead of pushing the distance with optic aid?

My opinion is that a modern sight on a traditional muzzleloader just takes away the charm and grace of the craftsmanship of the gun itself, but again, this is just my opinion and nothing more...

Runner in Missouri it is legal to use a Scope on a Muzzleloader durring all Seasons and Managed Hunts.

Plus the last couple years the Antlerless Season has been in December,not January.This year it is Dec.10-18.

Blue Smoke

I know it is legal. The question is if a true primitive weapons hunt was started, and you got to make the rules, would you allow scopes for those that have vision problems that make using iron sights impossible? No one said that they were not legal in Mo. In fact, that is one of the problems needing to be addressed by a new season. The question is about loopholes in the rules to be inclusive, not exclusive. Why a different name on this forum?

"The question is if a true primitive weapons hunt was started"

With that specification, I would not allow scopes. When exceptions are allowed that circumvent the rules, the exceptions become the rules.

Standards should not be lowered in order to accomodate everybody. When a driver can no longer see well enough to pass the drivers" license eye exam, should the state waive that requirement? I don't think so!

In Georgia, any kind of muzzleloader, including those with scopes can be used during the regular firearms season.

Richard/Ga.

Well in that case if you go to a pre 1840 shoot,would anyone be allowed scopes? :hmm: :nono: I think not!

Blue Smoke

Sorry Runner---- I am 72 yr old and can't do lots of things I could do when I was 25?-- 45?--55? But no matter----- I don't want to see the hunting ,,,,shooting,,, world go to hell just to be "
politicaly correct" Your Dad should have DEONE IT when he could have. I can't do some of it now , But I don't want to change it for the young folks and ruin their experience in the wild. :imo: :m2c: :sorry:

Blue Smoke,

Are you speaking to me? I thought I made it clear, No scopes for any reason, at any time!

Thomas

No I wasn't not really.I was just using pre 1840 shoots as an exsample.But if its a true Primitive Hunt and nobody is allowed Scopes,then no,no exceptions.

Me personaly I use Scopes on several of my Weapons.Not on my Sidelocks,just don't look or feel right.

Blue Smoke

Me personaly I use Scopes on several of my Weapons.Not on my Sidelocks,just don't look or feel right.

Blue Smoke

I agree, it doesn't look right... :rolleyes: :D

riflescope.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't help myself...

He did, believe me! I try to find that happy medium where lots of people can be happy.

Back