• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Opinions on Lyman rifle and pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brentp

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Cant go shooting today because its snowing outside... Instead I hit up the local gun shops(always a bad idea).

There is a Lyman great plains 54. rifle and pistol for sale $500. Both appear to be unfired, but are posted as used.

Is Lyman Great Plains Rifle good for PRB accuracy? Good rifle for sillouete matches? Good rifle compared to the other big brands; CVA, TC, ect.?

+1 Brown Bear speaks the truth.
I have 2 GPRs one flint & one cap.
Great guns.
Jon D

Lymans are great guns. I have a GPR flinter in .50 cal. Very accurate and reliable. Shoots patched round ball like a champ due to the 1 in 60 rifling twist. Excellent deal for both of those guns. I love my Lyman. :thumbsup:

now i have to come up with $500! I might have to sell a few things...

Thanks for the info guys. Im just getting into shooting club events and this seems like a good deal. It should be much better than what I am currently using.

Better hurry with the money.At that price,they won't last long.I have a flint rifle and the capper rifle in the GPR and also the 54 ca. pistol.I can't say enough good about them.

After shooting the GPR about 100 shots, the barrel settles in and it will scare you with how accurate it is. The GPP is an absolute blast! They are both accurate and reliable guns. They are my favorite!

I have the GPR in both .50 and .54 percussion rifles and the GPP in .54 too. Sold my flint GPR to help pay for a custom flinter.
All of my Lyman guns have won matches, money, and/or medals. :thumbsup:

Check and see if the gunshop has a lay-away plan before they're gone.

Make sure it's not the Great Plains Hunter if you want to shoot a PRB. They look the same, but the twist is different.

It was not the Hunter model, but thanks for the heads up.

I am going to be in a horrible mood today... Someone beat me to the rifle/pistol :cursing:

And on top of that, it snowed a foot and is still cominig down. Not the best conditions to go shooting or fishing

Thank you all for your responses.. Now I just have to wait for another good deal to come along

A moot point now but if you run across another, the GPR is a good gun as is. It can be turned into a great gun with a little effort and a little money!

Do you mind sharing the address of this gun shop? :grin: I have a GPR 50 and a GPP in 50 both I built from kits. Have not shot the pistol much but the rifle is outstanding. Bagged a big fat doe this year at about 70 yrs with PRB over 90 grains of fff. You cannot go wrong with the deal you are describing. BUY IT NOW.

GHOG

Every time I have hesitated on some deal like that it has backfired on me. too bad a guy does not have enough extra to just do it when things fall in place. hope you have a better deal right around the corner

I had been looking at a GPP .54. After reading this thread it is on order. thanks for the good info.

Back