• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Thinking of a flintlock rifle project, asking for opinions as to feasibility and practicality

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boom Stick

36 Cl.
Reaction score
First off, I do not have the skills and more importantly the tools and with a pending move (post-divorce) will hold off on purchasing tools until after the move, so I will have a gunsmith do the barrel work for me.

Basically, looking at purchasing an Investarms Gemmer Plains Rifle Flintlock rifle and having the barrel chopped to approximately 20-24 inches to put it in the vein of a canoe gun. May split the difference and go with 22 inches. I think that would make it not only a great little stalking gun for the deep woods but a great conversation piece on the range and at any range walk event. For a .50 caliber rifle barrel with a PRB twist (1:60), what is a good, short length that can still deliver good accuracy to what, 75 yards? I have the Lyman Black Powder Handbook & Loading Manual, 2nd Edition, and it shows the shortest barrel length of 24 inches for conicals / PRB but with 1:48 twist, which is an apples to fish comparison - wrong twist and length.

Anyone have any real-world experience, conducted any experimentation with a barrel this short, or have any documentation with results?

For cartridge bench rest rifles, the most efficient length is 23 1/2" . How that corresponds to muzzle loaders, I don't know. I know two guys with barrels on their muzzle loaders with barrels of 20" and less who kill deer and elk with them.

It’s the spin that holds it in line. And a 1/66 is going to turn 1/3 of a turn in a 22 inch gun. It ain’t going to stop spinning when it exits the muzzle.
I had a CVA pistol that shot groups as good as I could hold out to a hundred yards. Faster spin but still way less than a 1/4 turn.
Your difficulty will be in your short sighting radis. Still out to seventy five yards on deer sized targets you should get heart sized groups
Cutting the barrel clean will be your biggest issue

Actually, the gun you are describing is a Traditions Deer Hunter. 24" barrel, light and easy handling, effective with PRB and conicals. I shot some conicals in mine but never hunted with them. I did hunt with PRB and took a deer at 75 yards with 60 grains of 3f. A couple coyotes, one at 140 yards.

No need to cut the barrel but you could if you wanted less than 24". You can get them built or kit. The kits requitr little more than a screwdriver and sandpaper.

Back