• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Open Top Colts - Hammer Touch

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's just the cutest little surface grinder I've ever seen and it looks HEAVY too boot! You made a very nice stand for it - well done. Looks like an Atlas lathe in the background. Your shop is too clean;).

I just love this little grinder for my basement hobby shop. Close to 500 lbs. 6x12 chuck and 7" wheel. And have extra hubs with diamond wheel mounted. Grinds real nice, feel so lucky to have. Yes as you guessed about the stand.

Last edited:
I'm going to make the measurement on some of my gun nipples pre and post ignition to see what is left of the thickness after firing. I would think fouling will subtend part of the pre ignition priming thickness.
Well I for one am greatly interested in any information you find out.
Not so happy with that .075 slot in the hammer face. Might just have to make a new hammer or give my second hammer a new face.
I like the colts but some details like the arm where it connects to the hammer, just how close can you get to the full cock notch. Wow!

Last edited:
Well I for one am greatly interested in any information you find out.
Not so happy with that .075 slot in the hammer face. Might just have to make a new hammer or give my second hammer a new face.
I like the colts but some details like the arm where it connects to the hammer, just how close can you get to the full cock notch. Wow!

The safety notch in the originals were pretty thin. They just fit the pins in the cylinder. That is one of the reasons why "cap sucking" is a "modern" problem. The thicker cap material of the originals couldn't be "form fitted" into the skinny notch.

Mike

Wow. I envy you guys with all those tools and knowledge. My Pop could do about anything, depression days where ya fixed what ya had or made a new one and bought nothing. But Alas. I was the absolute king (prince back then) at being a major PIA and whenever Pop was gonna do anything he would dig in his pocket and get a few dollars (thats like $40.00 today BTW) and suggest I go to the dime store and get me a few new balsa wood airplanes and a coke. So he was able to get work done without 52% of his tools being "misplaced" and I got lots of planes and cokes. I learned nothing though. Kinda followed me. When I was a printer I needed another job and the boss told a caller that I was the best printer he ever had but was a little weak mechanically. He also "got rid of me when the press needed maintenance or emergency repairs. I could put out an award-winning paper but when the press broke, I was outta there! When I got married I had 50% less tools than my wife! Thanks to You-Tube I now do more "projects" but I admit I remain mechanically weak. Thank God for Mike and others that can make my tools and toys run like would if I could! I have no idea what alot of this thread was about but those tools!!! Dang. Thankfully, Mike informs me my sheriff is being shipped back to me tomorrow! I cannot wait. Got from a member whose pop had it and loved it and he didn't want it when pop passed so I bought it here on the forum and it's a really important gun to me to keep on shooting for his old man. Seems he needed the $$ to buy a nice grave marker, I'm sure some of ya recall those posts a year or so back.

Latest posts

Back