• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Open iron sights or peep.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're planning on hunting, open iron sights will allow you to acquire the target quickly and easily under all light conditions. Peeps can be difficult to use in a woodland environment, especially at dawn and dusk, when most hunting is done.

Peeps, twice on Sundays.
But... If I'm shooting 50 yds, short range, I prefer v-notch. I pick 'em up quicker.
For me, in the end, the choice comes down to $$$. The tang-mounted mid-and long range sights can burn a 24 pounder size hole in your wallet. Else, more than likely, all my smokepoles would have peeps. Except the Jukar. Not touching that thing again.

I think for target shooting a Peep will give you an advantage. For woods type hunting the Open sight,like a Semi Buckhorn style will give you an advantage in quickness and also field of view, peripheral etc. A traditional ML open rear sight is one step over having no sight! They are crude and usually useless after 50 yds or so. IMHO. So, back to square one, what do you want to do with the sight? Your use for the sight should determine what you pick. IMHO

If you're planning on hunting, open iron sights will allow you to acquire the target quickly and easily under all light conditions. Peeps can be difficult to use in a woodland environment, especially at dawn and dusk, when most hunting is done.
Totally untrue. Its the very opposite when using a hunting style peep sight. Again, there is a reason why the military used peep sights instead of iron open sights for so many years. Do you not think the military ever had to shoot anytime other than in good light conditions? They had to shoot in all light conditions, thus peep sights were used. IMO, anyone that thinks any different has not given a proper size hunting peep a try under real hunting conditions, especially in poor light conditions. That is where they are at their best.

I would not hunt with a target peep. The first peep I bought back in about 2003 for my .50 was a tang type peep. It was, IMO, for target shooting more than hunting. I returned it and purchased a TC peep. No comparison.

Last edited:
Totally untrue. Its the very opposite when using a hunting style peep sight. Again, there is a reason why the military used peep sights instead of iron open sights for so many years. Do you not think the military ever had to shoot anytime other than in good light conditions? They had to shoot in all light conditions, thus peep sights were used. IMO, anyone that thinks any different has not given a proper size hunting peep a try under real hunting conditions, especially in poor light conditions. That is where they are at their best.

I would not hunt with a target peep. The first peep I bought back in about 2003 for my .50 was a tang type peep. It was, IMO, for target shooting more than hunting. I returned it and purchased a TC peep. No comparison.
I think it depends on the peep. Typical peep does cut down light and field of view. it is what it is. That does not mean you can't use them. There is a difference between a target peep and a "ghost ring" type peep. The A3 Springfield and M1 obviously both had peeps, or receiver sights, but they were peeps designed for battle and had a decent sized aperture. imho

I think it depends on the peep. Typical peep does cut down light and field of view. it is what it is. That does not mean you can't use them. There is a difference between a target peep and a "ghost ring" type peep. The A3 Springfield and M1 obviously both had peeps, or receiver sights, but they were peeps designed for battle and had a decent sized aperture. imho
Sir, it is not my intent to be rude. However, l have previously stated what you have just posted, in terms of the different size of peeps. I went as far as to begin by stating "A hunting style peep". Target peeps are just for that.........target shooting. It is a known fact that a proper size hunting peep is superior to fixed, iron sights in poor light conditions.

To that end, and again, the military used peeps for just that reason. A human life is more important than any game animal. They were not about to put troops into battle with inferior sights that were limited in poor light conditions. That includes night time.

FWIW, a hunting peep opens up the field of view, not cut down on it.

Last edited:
For pure accuracy shooting bughole sized groups a guality peep sight with an aperture large enough to let light in and paired with a front sight that is meant for target shooting is the best. For hunting I'll take an open rear sight with a good blade or post every time.

Stub, with respect. That is completely backwards. Its just the opposite. If what you contend be true, then the military would not have installed peeps on rifles for many years. A peep is far superior in poor light conditions as it offers more open and full view of the target when compared to iron sights. An iron fixed sight can hide a good portion of the target whereas a peep does not.

I have proven this time and time again in the dark woods while hunting.
Open sights suck in early morning and late evening. Especially for old eyes. The Woodsrunner I am putting together now will have a peep sight.

Attachments

• 1CBF6EFA-CC31-4D8E-A2C4-58607EBB049D.jpeg
    1CBF6EFA-CC31-4D8E-A2C4-58607EBB049D.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
As a well read reader of hunting ideas as a lad in the 1950s, I wanted to try a peep sight, so bought a Williams 5D hunting peep sight for $5.00. and thought it would probably come for hunting and not knowing the difference, the peep hole was way too small, so of course it wasn't very successful. The eyes ability to quickly align a peep hole with a front sight is very good and with that being said, when I got to be about 70 years old I knew about what size a peep sight hole should be, and now I make my own peep sights with at least a 5 sixteenths to a 3/8 size hole. I can hit the target just as good and I can shoot it when it's almost totally dark. How close it is to your eye is also a factor, and some of mine are probably 3 inches away which actually makes it so that I can see the target and around the site at the same time.
Squint

Sir, it is not my intent to be rude. However, l have previously stated what you have just posted, in terms of the different size of peeps. I went as far as to begin by stating "A hunting style peep". Target peeps are just for that.........target shooting. It is a known fact that a proper size hunting peep is superior to fixed, iron sights in poor light conditions.

To that end, and again, the military used peeps for just that reason. A human life is more important than any game animal. They were not about to put troops into battle with inferior sights that were limited in poor light conditions. That includes night time.

FWIW, a hunting peep opens up the field of view, not cut down on it.
Ok, so we are basically in agreement. Works for me. I had an Episcopal Minister once tell me that "the road to hejj is paved with good intentions". LOL, YMMV

When I was young(er) I hated peeps. Couldn't get used to them. Now in my older age I'm finding that peeps are a blessing to my distressed eyes. You didn't mention your age but you will probably find that if iron sights work now there will come a time when they start fuzzing out on you. If so, then it's time for peeps. The next part comes in finding a front sight that works best in various situations. Good luck.

If your in deep dark timber not much will help you see. Using open or peep.
True, when it gets dark it is time to go home. Besides if you should (almost) y murder Bambi in low light you will have to track it in dark. And then, if you do find it you have to drag out in the dark. No fun. DAMHIK!

Back